Propane Burner PSI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
I just bought some of the Agri Supply 170,000 btu burners for my DIY 3-tier. I ended up having to buy a new propane regulator (Wal-Fart / convenience only) because of the fitting I needed but it doesn't say what the PSI is. My Bayou was 10psi and kicked out pretty nice. When I gave these new burners a test drive with the new reg it was very quiet and very slow :(.

So, what is your regulator PSI and/or what is recommended? Heck, I don't even know what the different flavors are out there...

http://www.agrisupplyco.com/cgi-bin/cgiitmls?m=ThisP&p=30295.000000&l=1

You probably got yourself a low pressure propane regulator... something like this:

LPressureRegulator.jpg

You need a high pressure, like this:

hp-propane-regulator.jpg

See this page:

http://northernbrewer.com/burners.html

On another note, dont mean to hijack the thread here... but what do you fellas think of using two of these Agri Supply burners in place of one of the 300,000 btu burners that cost $90?

Mine was the full assembly, but no mind it is definitely low psi and going back. I saw a 20 psi on amazon that is for a bayou burner for $22 but I wanna brew this weekend. I hit enough HW stores today and may have to buy online me thinks unless the barbeque store has something for a fair price... I'm still curious though what PSI would be required to get 170k theoretical. Not that you need that much but...

Well I did a little R&D on the Agri supply 170,000 btu burners. You need a 20 psi LP regulator to get that out of them. And I found the Bayou Classic 5HPR regulator online thru Amazon for $22 + $5 shipping. Bayou has there own site as well to buy from for $22 but wanted to charge me $11 for ground.

If it is as advertised, I'll give it the stamp of approval here. Think I'm having more fun building my 3-tier lately than brewing beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking into these burners/regulators... any luck with them? I'm open to any suggestions... looking to do 5 gal batches but eventually 10 gallon. Don't feel like spending much more than $50 for the whole setup, and I'm willing to weld my own stand.

I got them all built into the 3-tier below. Regulator works great and really kicks out the BTU's. The burners work fine as well, they're just kind of loud. ollllo was at my house and brought his bayou burner (can't remember what model) but it is high btu and really quiet. But I know his was a heck of a lot more than the $9 ea that I spent.

574-3-tier.JPG

Great looking system... good to hear it is possible to get some good heat relatively cheaply. Can't wait to get a system going, and the burner is one of the first steps. I don't really care much about the noise as I usually have some good music going in the background anyhow. :rockin:

Lil' Sparky said:
desertBrew - how are you liking your stand? It makes a big difference in your brew day, doesn't it?

[Rant]
I'm still waiting for my butthead friend to finish up my other kettle. Friggen guy works in a sophisticated metal shop supervising building missle stuff for Raytheon and can't get to cutting open a kettle and welding a valve for me in 2 months!? Shouldn't have offered if it was going to take this long.
[/ End Rant]

So because I only got 1 kettle I jack around 1st using it as the HLT, then sparge into two old pots I used to use, then drag the kettle down to do the boil. Yea, I'm not feeling the ease yet because of the jockying I gotta do!

Back