Irish Red Ale and Biscuit malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00t

Reaction score
I'm going for an irish red ale but not sure why i added the 2 ounces of biscuit malt.... I think it was one of those things that I wanted to try some of it in something... I've never used it before, anyone have any thoughts on its addition? Or is there even enough there to add anything noticeable?

Briess Golden Light Liquid Extract - Exact Amount 0102229 6 lb
Briess 2 Row Caramel40 0.75 lb
Special B 0101491 0.125 lb
---- Biscuit 0101493 0.125 lb
Briess Roasted Barley 0.125 lb
Fuggles Pellets, UK - Aroma/Flavor Hop 3.6% AA 1 oz
Cascade Pellets - Aroma/Flavor Hop 5.9% AA 1 oz

I dunno. I've got a recipe that uses 8 oz, and it gives a slight pie-crustiness to the flavor. I don't think I would notice the amount you are adding.

The beer should be fine, let us know how it turns out.

I would suspect the biscuit is more for color than taste, but 2oz def seems light. What were the other grains. The usual suspects (aside from base grains) would be Special B, Victory, Roasted Barley....

Briess Golden Light Liquid Extract - 6 lb

What were the other grains.

Briess Golden Light Liquid Extract - Exact Amount 0102229 6 lb
Fuggles Pellets, UK - Aroma/Flavor Hop 3.6% AA 1 oz
Cascade Pellets - Aroma/Flavor Hop 5.9% AA 1 oz

Ahh derp.

That looks like a good recipe, man. You will enjoy it.

That's basically what I do for mine which I've made about a dozen times. It calls for .25lbs special b, but looks like you're just replacing half that with biscuit. Both pretty much add the same nutty and biscuit type flavor, the Special B is ~50L and biscuit is ~25L

fwiw, i now double my roasted barley to .25 lbs most of the time, and i pitch pacman yeast. Its a crowd pleaser.

Special B is ~50L

Special B is at least twice that and adds raisny-sweetness. It is great in Red Ales if you keep it to a low %. You should be using the Roasted barley to get the "red" color.

I thought the Briess 2 Row Caramel40 0.75 lb added to the red color also, so that with the Briess Roasted Barley 0.125 lb should give it enough of the color in the style of Irish Red?

That's basically what I do for mine which I've made about a dozen times. It calls for .25lbs special b, but looks like you're just replacing half that with biscuit. Both pretty much add the same nutty and biscuit type flavor, the Special B is ~50L and biscuit is ~25L

fwiw, i now double my roasted barley to .25 lbs most of the time, and i pitch pacman yeast. Its a crowd pleaser.

Yep, you got it. Pacman is great for Irish ale.

I thought the Briess 2 Row Caramel40 0.75 lb added to the red color also, so that with the Briess Roasted Barley 0.125 lb should give it enough of the color in the style of Irish Red?

I was agreeing with your recipe. It looks nice :mug:

I was agreeing with your recipe. It looks nice
Awesome! Now I really can't wait.... wish I woulda got some pacman .... damn it....
I am using wyeast english ale

cara 40 won't add red i don't think. cara 90/120 both would, but the roasted barley does tthat work

But irregardless of where the color is coming from, that's the recipe i use (orig from a kit at MW i think) and the only change i've made in a dozen batches is the Pacman yeast. You'll be JUST fine with that english ale yeast, and nothing says you can't make it again.

I used munto fison dry the first few times.

In my experience cara 40 gives a light brown and a little roast barley will give a shade of red. Recipe looks good. Enjoy!

Back