Ginger Peach Chia Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hefeweizengeliebter

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at making mead so I made it in a small batch of 1 gallon

3lbs of cover honey
1 gallon of spring water
1/4t of yeast nutrient
about 1/2 package of red wine yeast
2 ginger peach teabags
1 chai spice teabag

I brought the water to a boil added 2 lbs of honey and after it dissolved I added the tea bags allowing them to boil about 5 minutes.
Then added the last pound of honey and allowing to boil about 10-12 minutes longer.
I just took the covered pot and sat it outside on the porch (it was -1 to 6 degrees today).
after about 40 minutes or so it was down to 75 degrees.
I used 2 one gallon carboys putting even amounts of predissolved yeast, then added even amounts of the wort. I kept one of the ginger peach tea bags in each container to steep while fermenting.

comments/critiques welcome

finally got this bottled

I tried a bit, and it is not good at all
I have never had mead before, so I do not know what it is supposed to taste like, but I do not like what I made at all

you can not taste ginger/peach/chai or tea at all

it has a fairly strong liquor taste, with the flavoring very watery

I think you tried to do too much for a first attempt, but taste it again next December. Meads can take years to age properly. In the meantime, buy a few bottles, so you know what a mead should taste like. Maybe you'll like it, maybe not.

Hey Hefe- You've made a style of mead known as metheglin, or spiced mead. The mead should have a strong alcohol taste at this point from the fermented honey. As a previous poster said, the mead is still young and you should wait at least a year before pronouncing judgement.

As for the light flavor, I'd suggest that you were far too light on your spices, or your teabags (which supplied the spices). I use a single teabag for a full flavored cup of tea, yet you used only three teabags to flavor an entire gallon.

Spiced mead may not be the best choice as a first mead. Metheglins are typically more subtle than a cyser (apple), melomel (fruit) or pyment (grape) and, unless you really, really, like the spices it may tend to be medicinal in flavor - especially if it ferments dry. Why not try a melomel made from fruit juice or concentrate next time? They're easy to make and don't take a year before they're ready to drink, especially if they're a little sweet.

Another trick you may try to get more flavor from the spice is to brew the teabags into a fairly thick tea, and add it to taste at bottling time or in a late rack. I've found that I lose a lot of the character of herbs and spices when I add them in the primary or secondary, as the fermentation activity tends to wear away a lot of the flavor.

Back