light beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudsow

Reaction score
Are commercial light beers just a more diluted version of regular beers? I have a friend that wants me to make a "light beer"

Mudsow said:
Are commercial light beers just a more diluted version of regular beers? I have a friend that wants me to make a "light beer"

Yes, they just add more water. It might be a slightly different recipe also but they add water to all of thier beers and the light beers get more water.

Tell him if he wants light beer to just go buy it. Light beer is tough for a homebrewer to make and have a light beer drinker actually like it. There is no room for any off flavors.

Not totally true. The light beer process is designed to eliminate nearly all non-fermentable sugars, proteins and flavor. They do brew-heavy and dilute.

There are light american ale kits, which will use rice extract, corn sugar, or wheat extract to minimize the malt. They aren't actual light beers, but will have a similar lake of flavor.

Try an English Mild, I've converted a few BMC drinkers with them.

Thanks, I've got a lighter american wheat beer that I put in my secondary today, hopefully that will be close. Otherwise, he'll have to just bring his own beer!

Latest posts

Back