I Finally Brewed a Proper ABV Batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweaker

Reaction score
:rockin:
My seventh batch, a Black Cherry Wheat got an ABV of 5.05%.

My eighth, a Porter is a respectable 4.52% ABV.

Time to test the advertised truism, that homebrew gives you less of a hangover!

I am stoked and soon to be stoned!:ban::tank:

Stoned? I just get drunk but I don't what you dry hopped it with.
Congratulations on making a brew your happy with, just give it a few more weeks and your even be happier.
I'm usually hoppier.

Oh man. I got right over all that needing to brew high ABV's. I think it was my third batch, I made what I called a Boysenberry Vienna ale. I used 30 ounces of pureed boysenberries (for 2.5 gal), 1 lb of Vienna LME from Mr. Beer, And I think there was some honey or sugar involved. Anyways, it tasted like ****. But, it was ~8% abv. I drank it all. But I wasn't happy about it.

Years ago I brewed a porter--a Ironmaster hoped kit I think? I tossed in a bunch of glucose. I don't recall the OG. I think it finished at over 8% and tasted crappy. Putrid Porter. I drank a lot of that the day before I got married and boy did I get a hangover. I'm happy with 1.045-1.060 OG. I don't think I'll ever use more than 10% simple sugars again.

I think you all missed the details. This was a 1.060 OG batch. This is not some silly azz 8% frankenbrew, Cool Colt (POW!) wanna be.
I just wanted to get a result in line with the kit's prediction. I have made 3 batches near 2% ABV and that is like a rootbeer. Damn good taste, but a cracker needs a little pick me up! Do you smell what I'm stepping in?

Stoned is old bluesman speak for drunk. See George Thorogood or John Lee Hooker.

Not that there is anything wrong with the more modern meaning.

I got the stoned part, I learned that from my old Jazz listening friend and some old movies. Word meanings change. I don't think anyone got the Proper ABV thing. Proper is to style. My Saison is 1.062 OG, top range of style with only a half pound of simple sugars. If it was much more I'd just call it a strong Belgian ale. My thanks go to Beersmith.
I sure hope you don't mean the more modern slang meaning for tweaker. :eek:

Tweaker - I learn something new everyday.
A nice 5-6 ABV is respectable as long as your not too thirsty, but there is nothing wrong with getting a little stoned as long as you don't have to drive.
Once again, congratulations on hitting your targets, I know I get more than a little disappointed when I'm way off.

+1 to getting properly stoned. Unfortunately, my urine is a hot commodity at work, so no dice.

Back