Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure:

The ferementer is from a Cooper's beer making kit from Amazon. This was actually a gift from SWMBO for my birthday March 30. She's created a monster.

The fermenter Has a 30L total capacity, with probably enough room for a 7gallon batch with lots of headspace.

The fridge was free from a colleague who didn't want it in his office anymore. It had no freezer section, so I just removed the shelves, pop racks in the door and cut the centre rib from the inside of the door and taped it up with foil ductwork tape.

I put the STC1000 inside a project box from home depot and a "decora" outlet directly underneath (decora outlets are square faced, and much easier to cut holes in the cover panel to fit). The outlet is split (jumper tab removed) one side for cool, one side for heat. The temp probe that comes with the STC1000 is taped to the side of the fermenter, with a small towel over it to insulate it from the air around it.

Does the fridge have a compressor? Where? That looks perfect for what I need. can you check the model next time your near it?

*sorry for the thread derail*

Just got done brewing a batch of this :) it is no chilling right now

I got a late start but this is such a quick brew for me

for me this is brew 12 of this recipe about 138 gallons, I do like this one a lot this is the second time I have used flake corn/rice

I have found I like it better then corn meal and minute rice, but that is just MHO

forgot today is cinco de mayo should brewed a Mexican beer :)

all the best and enjoy the day

S_M

Yeah, did similar from the recipe listed in signature

8lb pils
2lb flaked corn
1lb flaked rice

Hersbrucker hops, 1oz @ 60, 1/2 @ 5.

I boiled off a little too much and didn't add back. Ended up 6%. Deceivingly smooth and innocent.

Not doing all grain yet but I have to try this. If I go with an extract for malt could I use a bag for the rice and corn like specialty grains in the extract kits I have done? Teabag it the full 90 min? With the malt in for the enzyme or add some specialty grain to it?

Not doing all grain yet but I have to try this. If I go with an extract for malt could I use a bag for the rice and corn like specialty grains in the extract kits I have done? Teabag it the full 90 min? With the malt in for the enzyme or add some specialty grain to it?
The corn and rice are starches and don't have enough enzymes to convert, so you'll need to mash them with other grains that have enough diastatic power. BUT, they do sell rice syrup and corn syrup, you could try those...

My first beer was a Brewers Best Cream Ale. Ive brew alot since then, but I picked up another kit jus to do it for fun, and a pound of flaked corn.. Planned on mashing the flaked corn with Amylase enzyme.. Then sparging it and adding it to the recipe. Adjusting the hops etc. Otherwise the kit is jus LME, I want to play with the recipe a lil bit

I brewed the original recipe last year, and this time decided to tweak it some by subbing Pilsner malt for the 2-row and using a lager yeast. Also used Hallertau (60 min) and Tettnanger (5 min) hops (2 oz each). Mash schedule was protein rest at 122 F for 20 min, 150 F for 60 min, and mash-out at 170 F for 10 min. 60 min boil. Pitched Saflager 34/70 yeast (4 packages). Fermented at 52 F: 5 days after activity started I raised temp to mid 60s for 3 days, back to 52 for 3 days, then 7 days at 36 degrees. Bottled most, but did my first 3-gallon keg as well. Very pleased with the outcome of the draft from the keg. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432587994.699261.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432588016.941840.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432588033.200657.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432588049.375464.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432588069.635065.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432588087.729739.jpg

Quick update on my extract version of this recipe:

I left the beer in primary for ~10 days until FG was stable, then cold crashed in my primary for 7 or 8 days. I bottled last night. FG was 1.006. The beer tastes great, although the initial mouthfeel is somewhat slick (diacetyl?). I'll be letting this one bottle condition for 21 days.

On a side note, I was pleasantly surprised that my Craigslist wine fridge was able to get down to 36°F and actually hold temp for a week! :D

The corn and rice are starches and don't have enough enzymes to convert, so you'll need to mash them with other grains that have enough diastatic power. BUT, they do sell rice syrup and corn syrup, you could try those...

I went with corn sugar and rice syrup solids since my LHBS did not carry syrup forms.

Cream Ale Recipe

This is a very simple, inexpensive cream ale recipe that will get every BMC drinker in the room enjoying homebrew. So named because of the three different crops that go into the grist (Barley, Corn and Rice).

I brewed up 10 gallons of this and after kegging, bottled up a case to take to a family event (Mothers Day). Even my 78-yr old FIL, who is strict Miller Lite drinker, ended up having two pints. The chics dug it and we ran out well before the end of the evening.

The grain bill is cheap and in this case, you can use Minute Rice instead of flaked rice. No step mashing required. Simply combine the ingredients and follow a simple single infusion mash at around 152 degrees. I also mashed this for 90 minutes to get a highly attenuated beer. FG was 1.005...leaving a very dry, crisp beer with no noticeable graininess.

While this doesn't adhere to the strict beer laws, and I don't consider this one of my "craft" efforts, it is without a doubt the beer that I get the most "you really made this beer?" comments.

So if you've got some hard core "If it ain't Budweiser it ain't beer…" drinking friends…give this a try.

This beer clears up quickest of any of my recipes.

View attachment 5581

Batch Size: 11.50 gal

Boil Size: 14.26 gal

Estimated OG: 1.040 SG

Estimated Color: 2.9 SRM

Estimated IBU: 14.3 IBU

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %

Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)

4.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)

1.00 lb Minute Rice (1.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Willamette [5.20%] (60 min)

1.00 oz Crystal [3.50%] (60 min)

What yeast do use for this recipe? And do you ferment at lagering temperature?

Trying to find a way to make this clear faster...my first two batches sat in the keg at 30psi for 24 hrs and then after drinking on it for 5-6 days it'd be clear...so with the last batch we figured we'd set the psi at 12 psi and let it sit for 6 days and do a test pull the day before the mayweather fight and that didn't work it wasn't clear or carbed so we then had to do the 24hr force carb like normal and serve everyone hazy beer. I really want to serve my aunt and uncle from out of town clear beer on June 19th. I haven't even brewed it yet but I'm figuring 10 days in the fermenter and 6 days in the keg...we talked about the 24 hour force carb and then back it down to serving pressure and let it sit for 6 days if we stay out of it, unless anyone has a better idea

Trying to find a way to make this clear faster...my first two batches sat in the keg at 30psi for 24 hrs and then after drinking on it for 5-6 days it'd be clear...so with the last batch we figured we'd set the psi at 12 psi and let it sit for 6 days and do a test pull the day before the mayweather fight and that didn't work it wasn't clear or carbed so we then had to do the 24hr force carb like normal and serve everyone hazy beer. I really want to serve my aunt and uncle from out of town clear beer on June 19th. I haven't even brewed it yet but I'm figuring 10 days in the fermenter and 6 days in the keg...we talked about the 24 hour force carb and then back it down to serving pressure and let it sit for 6 days if we stay out of it, unless anyone has a better idea

Although I haven't personally used it, a fellow home brewer of mine swears by using gelatin for clarifying. Maybe rack from primary to secondary onto gelatin, let it rest 48-72 hours, then keg and carb? I understand it works pretty quick

I tried gelatin in the keg once and I just ended up with a cream ale jello lol haven't tried it in secondary, I'm doing a ten galling batch this time and I'm not sure there's enough room in the kegerator for two BB's...thanks for the quick responses

In my experience US-05/WLP001 just doesn't clear really fast, so time is your friend.

Any time I use US-05/WLP001 I transfer to secondary. It makes a HUGE difference in clarity. Transfer to secondary, let it sit 5-7 days and you will have clear beer, then transfer to keg. Not sure what the process provides that clears the beer, but it works a treat.

To clear faster than that I think cold crashing is your best bet, as mentioned above.

I am fermenting my third batch of beer now and I have a really hard time of following recipes, but I was thinking I would give this one a shot. I was grilling salmon and corn on the cob for dinner on Friday and the corn turned out perfect. I was thinking I could roast a ton of cobs on the grill for a little carmelization and smoke to add some extra body. Are there any tricks to mashing roasted corn? I figured it might involve some actual mashing or a blender or something.

So I brewed this about a month ago and although I think it is on the bland side, I had some relatives over this weekend who thought it was great! Luckily it is only 5 gallons.

A friend and I are prepping to brew a slightly altered version this in a couple weeks. Here's our grain bill:

90-minute mash
10# 2 Row
2# Caramel Wheat
4# Flaked Maize
1# Flaked Rice

90-minute boil
1oz Galena @ 60
.5oz Ella @ 5

1# Honey @ 10
1# Honey @ High Krausen

Any thoughts on addition of oats? We're sort of debating it now. We wanna increase the silky smooth mouthfeel, but I'm wondering if anyone has used it and what their experience with it has been in this beer. Cheers!

Has anyone done a partial boil of this recipe? I'm about to do a ten gallon batch and while my mlt can handle the volume my BK is only 7 gallon, I was thinking of doing a 6 gallon volume and putting three gallons in each fermenter and then top off with water.

I've heard of hops utilization being an issue here I just wonder if it'll really matter in a beer this lightly hopped

A friend and I are prepping to brew a slightly altered version this in a couple weeks. Here's our grain bill:

90-minute mash
10# 2 Row
2# Caramel Wheat
4# Flaked Maize
1# Flaked Rice

90-minute boil
1oz Galena @ 60
.5oz Ella @ 5

1# Honey @ 10
1# Honey @ High Krausen

Any thoughts on addition of oats? We're sort of debating it now. We wanna increase the silky smooth mouthfeel, but I'm wondering if anyone has used it and what their experience with it has been in this beer. Cheers!

Cream of 4 crops?

90-minute mash
10# 2 Row
2# Caramel Wheat
4# Flaked Maize
1# Flaked Rice

90-minute boil
1oz Galena @ 60
.5oz Ella @ 5

1# Honey @ 10
1# Honey @ High Krausen

Ine great thing about this recipe is how easy it is to make a great beer by making changes to the adjuncts.. Wheat, oats and honey.. I havn't tried those yet but I imagine it will work real well

The corn you roast on a grill, is a different type of Corn than is used for brewing. Having said that it is loaded with fructose. Should work, but I imagine it will be very cloudy for a while. Keep us posted, cool idea.

I've used oats with this beer. They helped with head retention, but no noticeable flavor. That was my last favorite version of this beer.

Quick update on the extract version of this beer:

I fermented for ~14 days (US-05 at 66°F), then cold crashed for almost a week. Bottled and conditioned at 68°F. After 10 days, I sampled a beer. This one is nice & crisp. The Saaz adds a nice spice without being overly bitter. The extra bit of rice syrup solids dries the finish slightly. Most importantly, the slick mouthfeel from the diacetyl is gone!

I'm going to be saving the remainder of this batch to share with my brother-in-law, who is a die-hard BMC drinker, when he comes to visit from Ft. Hood.

Quick update on the extract version of this beer:

I fermented for ~14 days (US-05 at 66°F), then cold crashed for almost a week. Bottled and conditioned at 68°F. After 10 days, I sampled a beer. This one is nice & crisp. The Saaz adds a nice spice without being overly bitter. The extra bit of rice syrup solids dries the finish slightly. Most importantly, the slick mouthfeel from the diacetyl is gone!

I'm going to be saving the remainder of this batch to share with my brother-in-law, who is a die-hard BMC drinker, when he comes to visit from Ft. Hood.

Can you post your hops schedule that you used? I have not used Saaz with this recipe so I am curious to see your schedule and try something different.

I am fermenting my third batch of beer now and I have a really hard time of following recipes, but I was thinking I would give this one a shot. I was grilling salmon and corn on the cob for dinner on Friday and the corn turned out perfect. I was thinking I could roast a ton of cobs on the grill for a little carmelization and smoke to add some extra body. Are there any tricks to mashing roasted corn? I figured it might involve some actual mashing or a blender or something.

Dude, no.

I have a feeling this has been adressed already on this thread, but since I don't feel like wading through nearly 3,000 posts here goes: can instant grits be used lb for lb as a substitute for the flaked corn, or should I just make the journey to the LHBS?

I have a feeling this has been adressed already on this thread, but since I don't feel like wading through nearly 3,000 posts here goes: can instant grits be used lb for lb as a substitute for the flaked corn, or should I just make the journey to the LHBS?

yes I have done it many times but so you know flaked corn to me tastes cornier

I use corn meal

all the best

S_M

yes I have done it many times but so you know flaked corn to me tastes cornier

I use corn meal

all the best

S_M

Do you boil the cornmeal before adding it to the mash? If so what ratio of h2o/cornmeal do you use? I've never done a cereal mash before

Latest posts

Back