West Coast Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgrubb7

Reaction score
My intention was to brew up something that my SWMBO and BMC drinking friends would enjoy. I wanted a light lager with a some actual flavor, and I wanted to use Cascade hops to set it apart from the standard Pils (hence the West Coast name). So far it's been a big hit. The SWMBO liked it (and even drank a couple!). All of my BMC buddies have liked it and even one is ready to give homebrewing a try after drinking this one. Definitely a very quaffable session brew but with enough flavor and hop character to actually be enjoyed. This batch was extract, but I plan to do an all grain version next.

5 gal Extract batch:
---------------------------------------------------------
1lb - 40L Carmel Malt (Steep for 20 min @ 150)
3 lb - Briess Pilsen DME
1lb - Honey

.33 oz Cascade (60min)
.33 oz Cascade (20min)
.33 oz Cascade (flameout)

Wyeast 2112 California Lager yeast (58°-68°)

prime with 5oz. corn sugar.

Starting Gravity - 1.036
Final Gravity - 1.008
ABV - 3.8
---------------------------------------------------------

I initially had the primary in my basement, but at 55° fermentation was very slow. I brought it upstairs to 65°. Fermentation fired right up and was active for 12 days. racked to secondary after 14 days (1.010). Secondary was brought back down to basement at 55° for another 14 days (1.008). Prime with corn sugar and bottle carb at 65° for 2 weeks.

Sample at bottling was crystal clear, but now I have a little chill haze out of the bottle. I'll try a little gelatin in the secondary next time to battle that. Head retention is on the low side, but not out of the ordinary for a low gravity beer. I'll use a little Carapils in my all grain version to help this out. Even though the total IBU's (9) are low it is still well balanced with the low gravity and I have no plans on upping the IBU next time. I may however try a different hop for bittering next time, and just use the cascade for flavor and finish.
:mug:

Back