BYO Nugget Nectar Extract recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsncrabs

Reaction score
Just got the latest BYO issue and found it had a Nugget Nectar extract recipe on page 12. I had two questions about this recipe and would welcome some advice.
1. The recipe states that you steep the grains for 30 minutes and you boil for 60 minutes. It states that 1.5 oz of Nugget goes in at 90 minutes. Am I to understand that this is a FWH and goes in when steeping, or is the 60 minute boil really a 90 minute boil or is it really a 60 minute boil and the hops go in at 60 minutes?:confused:

2. The recipe states that after steeping you should rinse the grains in "hot water". What do you think "hot" means? 170 degree like AG sparging or just hot tap water?:confused:

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I have no idea, but am incredibly interested in the results of this adventure. Having something similar to Nugget Nectar on tap during non-seasonal periods would make my world!

1: I'm guessing the AG one uses pilsner malt and thus requires a 90min boil, so it's probably just a typo. i don't think you can go wrong in either case (adding during the steep or just 60min boil)

2: it likely means like AG sparging at 170F, but hitting sparge temp isn't that critical.

1: I'm guessing the AG one uses pilsner malt and thus requires a 90min boil, so it's probably just a typo. i don't think you can go wrong in either case (adding during the steep or just 60min boil)

Yes the AG recipe listed does use pilsnaer malt.

2: it likely means like AG sparging at 170F, but hitting sparge temp isn't that critical.

I figured since you are not really getting any fermentables out of the grains it didnt really matter, but wasnt sure.

It's not an accurate clone. John Trogner was recently interviewed on The Sunday Session on the Brewing Network. He stated that he uses around 80% Vienna Malt. The hop bill might be accurate though.

I was about to ask the same thing. Both the extract and grain instructions specifically mention a 60 min boil, but there's a 90 min hop addition. The extract recipe says to steep for 30 min and the AG has a 60 mash so I guess in either case add the 1.5oz Nugget at 90 min?

Also the ingredients list 1.75lb Pilsner malt, even in the extract recipe, and say to steep at 152 degrees for 30 min. Does that make sense? Doesn't that make this more like a partial mash? Would there be any point in just steeping pilsner?

Well I brewed this and transferred to secondary this morning. Sample tasted ok, but I think it will take a while to for it to mellow out. I will keep you posted.

I kegged this Monday and took a sneak Tuesday. I know, I know, I just couldnt wait to taste. It was good but bitter. I have never had Nugget Nectar, but I can see where this will be good in awhile. The aroma was great.

Thanks for the update, I just ordered most of the ingrediants. I now hope to brew this in mid Dec.

You are in Lancaster but never tried NN? Great stuff, seek out a bottle in the spring.

No I have never had it. While I am not new to brewing, I just got into making and drinking hoppier beers. Wish I had tried some of this stuff earlier in my drinking career!:mug: I will be heading to visit the new brewery next month.

Its been almost two weeks since kegging and I have been trying some every couple days. This stuff is good! Mellowed out nicely.

Okay, I am part way through this keg and have decided that the mouthfeel on this is definitely "thin". It needs some body. The head on it is nice, but it tastes, for lack of a better word, "watery" at the end of a swallow. Any ideas to correct this? Extract recipe is below.

1 lbs 12.0 oz Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 14.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.1 %
8.0 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.1 %
8.0 oz Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 4 4.1 %
2 lbs DME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract 5 16.3 %
7 lbs LME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Extract 6 57.1 %
2.14 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 7 61.3 IBUs
1.07 oz Palisade [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 16.5 IBUs
0.53 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 9.4 IBUs
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 10 -
1.60 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 11 1.9 IBUs
1.07 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 12 1.2 IBUs