Hops harvested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zebop

Reaction score
Friend who has hops on his property graciously offered to harvest for my brewing use. He has some beautiful looking cones ready now but we don't know what variety these are. So I'm not positive when to best use them in the process. Perhaps dry hop in some pale ale in a secondary? Use a few ounces at end of boil and see what it does? Any thoughts? Must admit only thing I know about hops is I like IPA's a lot! :)

If you have enough, try to brew a batch with ONLY those hops, and that might help you figure out what kind, or how to best use them in the future. How much do you think you'll end up with?

jessox80 said:
If you have enough, try to brew a batch with ONLY those hops, and that might help you figure out what kind, or how to best use them in the future. How much do you think you'll end up with?

I'm gonna say total weight is >1 lb. Not a bad idea.... Could be interesting. Thanks!

Is that dry weight? If so I have a similar amount of first year hops and am going to use them all in one (hopefully) insane ipa. Bittering, flavoring, aroma...and a handful every 5 min... To get a better understanding of my new plants I'll be using a simple recipe, not a lot of grain variations or heavy malt character.

jessox80 said:
Is that dry weight? If so I have a similar amount of first year hops and am going to use them all in one (hopefully) insane ipa. Bittering, flavoring, aroma...and a handful every 5 min... To get a better understanding of my new plants I'll be using a simple recipe, not a lot of grain variations or heavy malt character.

Yeah, at least a pound. I may just try that, although I like a fairly high gravity myself. Curious to see what happens. Worse case scenario we dump it if no good. I will let u know in a few weeks

Back