starter for saving dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeds1

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a sour and have a few bottles that I want to save the dregs from. How big/much starter should I use just to keep the dregs active? I plan on dumping the dregs into to a mason jar to save and was thinking something along the lines of 1.5oz DME and 2 cups of water. Will that be good enough to keep them active for a month (maybe less)?

Thanks.

I would start even smaller than that, maybe 3/4 of an ounce DME and 1 cup water. Depends on how many bottles you are planning on harvesting from though.

Remember to keep everything REALLY clean at this stage. If you have a big pot I would "can" the starter in the jar, just like canning peaches. Remember to flame the lip of the bottle before pouring out the dregs.

When harvesting from a bottle, it's a good idea to make a small starter and step that up to about a quart/liter before you store it. That way you know you have valid yeast when you are ready to use it.

Back