Rockwell Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJPicardo

Reaction score
Going to give my first attempt at creating my own recipe. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.

5 Gallon - All Grain - 60 min boil
0.G. - 1.088
F.G. - 1.022
IBU - 69
SRM - 35
(Stats According to QBrew)

Grain Bill
6.5 lb - British 2-Row
6.5 lb - Maris Otter Malt
3 lb - British Crystal 50/60
8 oz - Roasted Barley
8 oz - British Chocolate Malt

Hops
1.75 oz Tettnanger (60)
1.75 oz Fuggles (60)
1.25 oz Tettnanger (30)
1.25 oz Fuggles (30)
1 oz Hallertauer (15)

Yeast
English Ale

Thats an awful lot of crystal malt (~17%), 20% is the max recommended and most won;t go near that. I wouldn't go over 2lbs. IMO, you need more dark malts, but they're fine as is.

Thats also way too big of an add at 30mins, 1oz tops. you're getting minimal flavor at best, and its underutilized so its kind of a waste to do such a large add there. personally, id ditch the 30min add and just use some of it at 60mins to make up for the lost IBUs and use the rest at flameout or as a dry hop.

Thats an awful lot of crystal malt (~17%), 20% is the max recommended and most won;t go near that. I wouldn't go over 2lbs. IMO, you need more dark malts, but they're fine as is.

Thats also way too big of an add at 30mins, 1oz tops. you're getting minimal flavor at best, and its underutilized so its kind of a waste to do such a large add there. personally, id ditch the 30min add and just use some of it at 60mins to make up for the lost IBUs and use the rest at flameout or as a dry hop.

Based on suggestions I've received over the course of the day, I've adjusted the grains slightly. I want to achieve the bitterness to balance out the maltyness of such a high alcohol beer (a la the 60min) , but also be able to taste the complexities of the hops (a la the 30/15min).

5 Gallon - All Grain - 60 min boil
0.G. - 1.083
F.G. - 1.021
IBU - 71
SRM - 41
(Stats According to QBrew)

Grain Bill
6.5 lb - British 2-Row
6.5 lb - Maris Otter Malt
1.5 lb - British Crystal 50/60
12 oz - Roasted Barley
12 oz - British Chocolate Malt

Hops
1.75 oz Tettnanger (60)
1.75 oz Fuggles (60)
1.25 oz Tettnanger (30)
1.25 oz Fuggles (30)
1 oz Hallertauer (15)

Yeast
English Ale

With that much Crystal and dark malts.

I think it will be difficult to get to 1.021. I'd pick which you want for the dominant flavor (Roast or Choc) and leave it, and reduce the other to maybe 4 ozs.

Crystal; that's still a lot, but maybe OK.

Maybe replace 1.5 lbs of grain with 1 lb of sugar to help get the FG down.

And as dcp said, move the 30 minute hop addition. It's doing very little for you at 30 minutes.

Back