Is my beer infected?? Pic.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to do something with this brew so I decided to keep it going, Here is a pic before I racked it:
5341681416_db152f57e5.jpg

I racked it off into one of my recently bottled oude bruin fermentors (2 year old trub and oak spirals intact), I will feed this and get it up to 13+ gallons. Testing shows gravity is currently at 1.018ish, it's a nice dark orange and still has a very strong pumpkin aroma. The bitterness is starting to fall a little. Not a very good pic of the hydro sample:
5341114585_efb3d572e3.jpg

I haven't decided if I want to keep feeding this strictly wheat or add barley wort to it. I'll probably feed it some party-gyles I have planned.

Is this a special halucenagenic beer ? cuz its making me see things.

Interesting, do you have some experience with this? We tasted the pumpkin meat and it was fine but never thought to taste the skins at all.:confused:

I had the same first thought when I read about the bitterness. Possibly tannins extracted from the pumpkin skin during the boil?

I say try again, but scoop the pumpkin flesh out of the skins before you start.

I haven't tried a pumpkin, but I cook a lot. And I know that by roasting or searing, you can get a little burn that can be yummy, but too much carbon can be bitter. The skins look pretty crispy in the pix, so if you scoop out the meat....?

my two bits :mug:

Spray it down with Lysol. Not only does it kill 99.9% of bacteria, it will also leave a wonderful citrus aroma.

I wonder why the gravity went up? It IS a different hydrometer and the old one seemed to be reading low all the time, that's got to be it, now I'm glad it broke.

Back