AG Wheat beer tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onescalerguy

Reaction score
Fixin to do up our first AG wheat beer and we've got a few questions.I've read through some related forum threads and got just enough info to be confused;) .How about the grind,coarser than barley for the malted wheat?As for mashing,do i need to some sort of step or rest procedure?(Acid rest?,protein rest?,or some such thing!?)How about rice hulls in the mash?Do you mix them all together(wheat,barley,rice hulls)in the tun?I'm gonna go 50/50 on the grain bill(wheat/barley).How does 10# sound for a 5.5 gal batch?Anyways,those are my immediate concerns,I'll probably have some more.Thanks for any help folks:) .
Cheers:mug:

You can probably crush the wheat at the same setting. I usually go a little bit finer, but you just need to crack it as it is huskless.

Mash schedule is up to you...there is a thread on Weihenstephan I started that a search should turn up which covers mash schedules pretty exhaustively. Just depends on how much time you have.

Mix the hull with the grist. You can do it at mash out or dough in, I haven't noticed a difference.

10# sounds about right.

Thanks Baron.One more question,
i only have dry yeast.Which of these would you use;S-04,US-56,T-58,Nottingham or Muntons?Thanks again:) .
Cheers:mug:

None of those are hefeweizen yeasts. If hefeweizen is your aim, you'll need to get a liquid yeast (White Labs 300, 351, 380) If making an American style wheat beer is what you're after, any of the Safale yeasts are great choices.

What Brewsmith said...none of the above. If you decide to use one and do an American-style wheat go with the US-56 and definitely don't bother with any multistep mashes, and hop it anyway you like.

Back