Licenses to sell HomeBrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpilot

Reaction score
Anyone have any information, OR have an idea where one could obtain information about being licensed to sell thier homebrew? Can you sell any without a license? I live in IN... just very curious!!!

Brewpilot

I am also very curious about this. I had a small bar and cigar shop a few years back that wanted to cary my house porter. From what I found out, you will need a alchohol distribution liscence and some other permits that I really can't remember. This is in AZ and I really did not persue it any further.

From what I understand, it is almost impossible. Here in Illinois, you cannot distribute your own brew. Every beer that is distributed must go through a licensed distributor. Even the brewer at my local brewpub faced this dilemma when he decided to let his beer be sold out of house. He could not simply carry a keg of his brew to other bars. He has to relinquish them to a distributor who delivers them to other establishments.

As for brewing the beer, I would wager that there is a whole array of licenses and inspections that you'd have to pass in order for your beer to be legal.

You should pick up a book called Brewing Up a Business. It is written by the owner/founder of Dogfishhead. He writes, in this book, about growing his business. He started out making and selling his brews on a ten gallon homebrew system!!! :rockin:

In other words, it can be done. But I'll bet it is really difficult - not something you do "on the side," so to speak.

In Oregon, you need to be licensed by the OLCB. Get inspections (surprise ones), pay taxes on volume & alcohol content, get every label approved, etc. Figure 3-5 grand to get going. Distribution is very strange in Oregon. There is a guy in Portland that is making a go on a one barrel system: "Going pro is a good way to turn a great hobby into a job."

I'm certain there is a control board of some sort in Indiana.

Found this info for Maricopa County in Arizona (this might interest you anthrobe):

License Types: Series 03 Domestic Microbrewery License

Non-transferable
On & off-sale retail privileges
Note: Terms in BOLD CAPITALS are defined in the glossary.

PURPOSE:

Allows the licensee of a microbrewery to manufacture or produce at least ten thousand (10,000) gallons, but less than three hundred ten thousand (310,000) gallons of beer annually.

ADDITIONAL RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:

May sell beer produced or manufactured on the premises for consumption on or off the premises, and may make sales and deliveries of beer to persons licensed to sell beer.

May serve beer produced or manufactured on the premises for the purpose of sampling.

Must report annually at the end of each fiscal year the amount of beer manufactured. If the total amount of beer manufactured exceeds the amount permitted by a Series 03 license, the licensee shall apply for and receive a Series 01 license (In-state Producer).

Any CONTROLLING PERSON can have an interest in only one (1) microbrewery and at only one (1) site.

On any original applications, new managers and/or the person responsible for the day-to-day operations must attend a basic and management training class.

A PREGNANCY WARNING SIGN for pregnant women consuming spirituous liquor must be posted within twenty (20) feet of the cash register or behind the bar.

A log must be kept by the licensee of all persons employed at the premises including each employee's name, date and place of birth, address and responsibilities.

AVERAGE APPROVAL TIME: Sixty-five (65) to one-hundred five (105) days.

PERIOD OF ISSUANCE: One (1) year with option to renew.

FEES: Non-refundable application fee: $100.00
Fingerprint fee per card: Contact Department
Interim Permit fee: $100.00

Upon approval:
Final fees (full year): $600.00
Final fees (half year): $450.00
Annual renewal fee (includes SURCHARGE): $370.00

ARIZONA STATUTES AND REGULATIONS:

ARS 4-201, 4-202, 4-203, 4-205.04, 4-209(B)(3), 4-209(D)(3), 4-243, 4-261; Rule R19-1-214, R19-1-250, R19-1-254.

IOW, another fine example of your bastard sh*tbag government, hard at work, making sure two consenting adults can't trade wares as they see fit.

But, yeah, "land of the free" and all that crap. Right. "Free".

Mmmmm 10,000 gallons of beer on the wall, 10,000 gallons beer... drink one down & pass it around, 9,999 gallons of beer :)

Cregar said:
Found this info for Maricopa County in Arizona (this might interest you anthrobe):

License Types: Series 03 Domestic Microbrewery License

Non-transferable
On & off-sale retail privileges
Note: Terms in BOLD CAPITALS are defined in the glossary.

PURPOSE:

Allows the licensee of a microbrewery to manufacture or produce at least ten thousand (10,000) gallons, but less than three hundred ten thousand (310,000) gallons of beer annually.

ADDITIONAL RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:

May sell beer produced or manufactured on the premises for consumption on or off the premises, and may make sales and deliveries of beer to persons licensed to sell beer.

May serve beer produced or manufactured on the premises for the purpose of sampling.

Must report annually at the end of each fiscal year the amount of beer manufactured. If the total amount of beer manufactured exceeds the amount permitted by a Series 03 license, the licensee shall apply for and receive a Series 01 license (In-state Producer).

Any CONTROLLING PERSON can have an interest in only one (1) microbrewery and at only one (1) site.

On any original applications, new managers and/or the person responsible for the day-to-day operations must attend a basic and management training class.

A PREGNANCY WARNING SIGN for pregnant women consuming spirituous liquor must be posted within twenty (20) feet of the cash register or behind the bar.

A log must be kept by the licensee of all persons employed at the premises including each employee's name, date and place of birth, address and responsibilities.

AVERAGE APPROVAL TIME: Sixty-five (65) to one-hundred five (105) days.

PERIOD OF ISSUANCE: One (1) year with option to renew.

FEES: Non-refundable application fee: $100.00
Fingerprint fee per card: Contact Department
Interim Permit fee: $100.00

Upon approval:
Final fees (full year): $600.00
Final fees (half year): $450.00
Annual renewal fee (includes SURCHARGE): $370.00

ARIZONA STATUTES AND REGULATIONS:

ARS 4-201, 4-202, 4-203, 4-205.04, 4-209(B)(3), 4-209(D)(3), 4-243, 4-261; Rule R19-1-214, R19-1-250, R19-1-254.
Let's not forget that you probably will also have to deal with State Government rules, and maybe pay THEM as well as all the money you have forked over to the couty.

Why all this regulation? Bottom line: money. Uncle Sam, the state and all the local entities that regulate alcohol sales all want their share of the tax dollars generated by the sale.

Evan! said:
IOW, another fine example of your bastard sh*tbag government, hard at work, making sure two consenting adults can't trade wares as they see fit.

But, yeah, "land of the free" and all that crap. Right. "Free".

Yes, the opportunity for theft by taxation is part of the picture. As well, most such laws are also designed to set a high and anti-competitive barrier to entry into any county, state, or federally regulated activity. This serves to protect the interests of the well-funded and well-established businesses. Entrepreneurship is possible, but the cost of entry is high.

Cregar said:
I'm in the minority here, brewing greater than 5 gallon batches, but even then, I'd have to brew about two 15 gallon batches a day (no holidays/weekends) in order to kick out enough beer to qualify for this license. If I aged my beer for a month, that would mean that I'd need about another 30 fermenters (at present brewing volume). I'd certainly be willing to pay the license fee, but the requirements are a bit steep!

Yuri_Rage said:
I'm in the minority here, brewing greater than 5 gallon batches, but even then, I'd have to brew about two 15 gallon batches a day (no holidays/weekends) in order to kick out enough beer to qualify for this license. If I aged my beer for a month, that would mean that I'd need about another 30 fermenters (at present brewing volume). I'd certainly be willing to pay the license fee, but the requirements are a bit steep!

That's what I meant about the rather high and anti-competitive barriers to entry. It's not just the license fees, it's the whole ball of wax. You can bet that if you read all other relevant statutes that apply, there will be other barriers too.

You just can't get a license to operate a microbrewery unless you can afford something like this 5 BBL system, or possibly you could get by with this 40 gallon system. That means to get a license, you have to have considerable money to invest, or stong financial backing, and you have to approach it as a full-time business.

The laws are specifically and purposely designed this way to stop regular Joe from running a small brewery with sales to local pubs or other customers out of his garage or the back of his truck.

Here in Michigan.

As for the $6 pint glass, free beer? We have a state law keeping that one back. Can't 'give away' alcohol, only exception is a micro or winery for 'sampling'. Funny thing is most counties/cities don't enforce it much. LHBS moved a couple miles down the road , just over the border to another city. Chief says he will arrest the owner if he holds any tastings whatsoever. The greed of power. I'm sure local ordinances will be pursued.

I just recently looked into this for the idea that my place would end up to most of my friends as a BOP/micro. That being the case I don't mind following regulations and laws to be licensed for the few participants if they are reasonable. Came up with the following on the state website:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_lcc_brewdetail_57148_7.pdf

Summary:

$50 Brewers License (Yearly renewal based on how much you brew)
$70 Inspection Fee
$1000 Bond for first year (Subsequent years $1000 or greater excise tax)
$50000 Proof of Security Liability minimum
??? Federal Permit (Check with ATF)

Regulations on Bottle labels (spcifically Health and safety warning, Net cont, ABV, BEER) All labels must be deemed acceptable before processing. Plus books on collection of excise taxes and deposit.
There are also regulations on the specifics of the company itself.

Out of the backyard brewer ballpark for most I would assume, but not entirely out of the question. I have seen some homebrewers and winemakers start small business out of their home.

Don't give up if it's what you truly want! And while this I'm sure is a great resource, don't be afraid to check local regulations and laws. These are words that govern people, made by people. They are living laws remember! Take action if action is needed!

Cheers! :mug:

ryser2k said:
I'll sell you this pint glass for $6, and it comes with a FREE bottle of homebrew!

I sell spoons. Comes with a complimentary glass of liquid to stir with your spoon. If you happen to run out of stirable liquid, you have to purchase another spoon to get more. Sorry, that's just the way it is. People LOVE my spoons though!
:-D

Ummmm, part of the difficulty is also in the attempt to prevent the sale of alcohol period. I know in RI many of the laws are designed to limit the amount of alcohol for sale, how I love teetotalers.

Latest posts

Back