A question with EZ Water adjustment calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevemwazup

Reaction score
I have another question with the EZ Water Adjustment calculator.
When I enter the different mineral amounts there is a check box bellow for each mineral. When checked, it gives a seperate amount to add to the boil.

My question is, if I uncheck the box, an just put the minerals in the mash and not the boil kettel, will the program adjust acordingly, ( Is it just as good doing it that way ).
stevemwazup

The way it works is that you may want to add minerals to the mash just to get the RA, Mg and Calcium up to minimums to get mash pH and enzyme activity going and leave those out of the final profile. If you watch my 3rd video on this topic on youtube, it explains why you'd want to leave some out. You'll see that the program will show you both the resultant mash profile (row 22) and overall profile (row 23).

There are cases were you have to add a lot of NaHCO3 to get mash conditions in range but don't necessarily want the sodium levels jacked up for the overall profile. Other situations exist but that's probably my biggest reason for requesting the checkbox.

Back