Brewcast tomorrow morning (9/27/09)!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkarp

Reaction score
I'm bottling the 1st half of my AHB Pliny kit today so it's time to brew the 2nd half so I can pitch the freshly washed yeasties.

If you'd like to see my Countertop Brutus 20 in action, here's your chance! I'm gonna try to do this brewcast "cooking show" style, streaming from my Googlephone clipped to the ceiling for a nice over-head view of the operation. I ran a few tests this morning and it looked pretty darn good.

Festivities will start about 8am MDT (10am EDT, 7am PDT). Point your browser to http://qik.com/jeffkarpinski to watch the madness. If you beat me into Qik, you may need to refresh your page to get the chat window, etc. once streaming begins.

Rough schedule:
7:30 - setup and heat strike water
8:00 - dough-in
9:00 - mash recirculation
9:30 - begin boil
11:00 - begin chill
11:30 - cleanup

Recipe:
3 gal batch, 1.069 target OG, 6 SRM, 232 IBU
5.75 lb 2-row
0.5 lb extra-light DME
0.5 lb corn sugar
0.44 lb carapils
0.12 lb crystal 40
0.75 oz Chinook @ mash
1.38 oz Warrior @ 90
0.25 oz Chinook @ 90
0.5 oz Simcoe @ 45
0.5 oz Columbus @ 30
1.12 oz Centennial @ flameout
0.5 oz Simcoe @ flameout
1 oz Simcoe @ dry-hop
1.5 oz Columbus @ dry-hop
0.88 oz Centennial @ dry-hop
S-05 (washed re-pitch)

beer58.jpg

Thanks everyone for watching! We had 15 viewing live at one point.

I should've taken a gravity reading before shutting down the video - OG into the fermenter was 1.070, which for three gallons is 76% efficiency, according to TastyBrew. That's even better than I got on the 1st half of the kit.

If you missed the brew session live (and are EXTREMELY bored), Qik saves the videos for replay. Just go to http://qik.com/jeffkarpinski and check 'em out. Qik has a 2 hour video length limit so there's 3 videos in all.

Thanks everyone for watching! We had 15 viewing live at one point.

I should've taken a gravity reading before shutting down the video - OG into the fermenter was 1.070, which for three gallons is 76% efficiency, according to TastyBrew. That's even better than I got on the 1st half of the kit.

If you missed the brew session live (and are EXTREMELY bored), Qik saves the videos for replay. Just go to http://qik.com/jeffkarpinski and check 'em out. Qik has a 2 hour video length limit so there's 3 videos in all.

It was cool my friend! I enjoyed seeing the system work... I know I am having fun!

I enjoyed the parts I watched a great deal. Since I'm in the process of building a copy of your system, seeing it in action was very helpful.

Great job!

Very cool Jeff, thanks for taking the time to cast this. I watched some live but had to go brew my own Oktoberfast on my "clone" system. I love this system, I keep getting better with it each brew. My plate chiller worked like a champ today, 6 gallons down to 80 degrees in 30 minutes. My efficiency was a bit off, but I am working on that. I don't think I recirculated long enough.

I can't see any video right now either, although it worked earlier. Hopefully qik will fix that. Maybe you can host the video files somewhere else.

Very cool Jeff, thanks for taking the time to cast this. I watched some live but had to go brew my own Oktoberfast on my "clone" system. I love this system, I keep getting better with it each brew. My plate chiller worked like a champ today, 6 gallons down to 80 degrees in 30 minutes. My efficiency was a bit off, but I am working on that. I don't think I recirculated long enough.

I can't see any video right now either, although it worked earlier. Hopefully qik will fix that. Maybe you can host the video files somewhere else.

Are you recirculating through the plate chiller? I though about using one, but I'm worried about clogging. It's the last part of the system I need to put together.

Are you recirculating through the plate chiller? I though about using one, but I'm worried about clogging. It's the last part of the system I need to put together.

Yup, I went with a shirron. It works great but you have to use a kettle screen in your brew pot. I also use a hop bag since I use pellet hops. I use the 12.5" SS kettle screen from NB with a 1/2" NPT male fitting. It goes right into the coupler in my brew kettle. The SS kettle screen filters our the trub during recirculation. I tried a SS scrubby on my first brew and the scrubby plugged badly.

Yup, I went with a shirron. It works great but you have to use a kettle screen in your brew pot. I also use a hop bag since I use pellet hops. I use the 12.5" SS kettle screen from NB with a 1/2" NPT male fitting. It goes right into the coupler in my brew kettle. The SS kettle screen filters our the trub during recirculation. I tried a SS scrubby on my first brew and the scrubby plugged badly.

That's certainly food for thought. Thanks for the info. :mug:

That's certainly food for thought. Thanks for the info. :mug:

It's a fun build and makes for a fun brew day. The PID automation is very, very cool. I love the simplicity of the design and the minimal plumbing changes that are needed on a brew day.

One other tip if you do go with a plate chiller, you can backflush the system very easily by simply taking the wort out line and plumbing it to your faucet line with a garden hose adapter. It backflushes the entire system and empties into your brew kettle. Very easy to do.

Video is still dead, weird. The live broadcast was pretty cool though. I had never heard of qik before.

Hi,

I'm a beginner, please anyone could share a new link with the video?. The last one doesn't work, the Jeff's CB20 looks awesome and I want to built a similar ring.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm a beginner, please anyone could share a new link with the video?. The last one doesn't work, the Jeff's CB20 looks awesome and I want to built a similar ring.

Thanks

Loooong time ago. I believe you can still watch them on qik, however.

Latest posts

Back