The Brewing Network

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostyone

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone else familiar with the brewing network, The Brewing Network.com - Beer radio | The Brewing Network™ for craft brewers and microbrews It seems like a pretty good source of information, and better yet, they have video and audio you can download. I downloaded pretty much all the "Brew Strong" mp3s to play on my iPhone when I'm driving (or anytime I feel like it I guess). Great for those of you that can't find the time to read, but would still want to better yourself (like an audio book for Moby Dick or something, lol).

i think a bunch of people here dig the BN... i have essentially all of their shows on my ipod and hardly listen to anything else when driving around... my wife sighs when she gets into the car and on comes, "1/4 pound crystal 60..."

the style version of the jamil show is fun to listen to also. they get a little off-topic sometimes which is annoying, but 80-90% of the show is good info, so it's worth it.

Careful talking about The Brewing Network, there are a lot of crybaby whiners here that get offended by The BN. I enjoy all of the BN shows though. The jamil show/can you brew it, is very good for tips on brewing different styles and cloning beers.

I like the BN. Good beer info even though they do tend to get off topic, which makes the show more than just a beer podcast, it makes it fun to listen to, and is what separates them from Basic Brewing.

The can you brew it show is driving my nuts ,they clone it every time lately! Seem to me that Jamil and Tasty get into a livelier discussion if they don't quite get it, than when they clone it.

I think when they are trouble shooting why there are differences, they put out a lot of good information how and why the perceive the differences, and how they might fix it., but there is a lot of great info in the BN shows even when they hit it.

My Brother just started brewing, 2 extract, then straight in to AG. The first thing I told him was "Listen to the Brew strong, Make a starter, get a way to control your Fermentation temperature.":mug:

I just found these last week and have started sampling them. Some of the stuff is over my head right now, but hopefully I can catch up!

I found it a few months ago. That's been the only thing I've listened to since then. Brew Strong is definitely my favorite. Jamil's style shows are good, too, especially if you want to brew a specific style. I'm more into process which is probably why Brew Strong appeals to me more.

great site and great shows The Sunday Session, The Jamil Show, Can You Brew it, and ???????? Also if you get a chance listen live and join the chat room or even call in and ask question the them or the brewer they have in the show. Only thing the next live show is in a couple weeks. :mug:

Careful talking about The Brewing Network, there are a lot of crybaby whiners here that get offended by The BN.

Sure, there was some some controversy a while back with the I Am A Homebrewer video that involved the BN and the HBT, yes BN guys I know, acronyms ...interesting that you constantly refer to yourself as the BN, but can't STAND the fact that people refer to this site as HBT! (Hold on a minute, we don't have a middle finger smiley?!?!!? Weak!!!) ;)

Seriously, I think the BN is well received here for the most part. They didn't like the video, so what. They have their thing. I enjoy it. Some don't. If you haven't checked it out, you should.

Oh, and James Spencer's Basic Brewing Radio kicks everybody's $*!$ing %$^ anyway. Listen to that $#%! because he is the best!!! :rockin:

BN. Great info and fun presentation. I like the Brew Strong and The Jamil Show. The Sunday session tends to drift the most off topic and I find can be tough to listen to sometimes. Overall though I completely enjoy the majority of the BN shows and find them fun and informative.

I don't think there is a bunch of crybaby whiners here. There are some that wish the show was perhaps more PG rated so they could listen around the family, and some who wish they stayed more on topic. I think those who wish it was more family friendly have a valid point. By the same token I personally enjoy the off color humor and commercials and I think it is what makes the show fun, but I can see the point.

I don't think there is a strong negative sentiment against the BN shows on HBT. As far as on line communities, I personally find HBT a better forum for information and discussion all the way around, but that's just my preference.

I wish they would condense the information. I cannot listen to them because they're sense of humor just doesn't work for me. I will skip through certain shows to listen to parts, but overall, there's a lot of BS filler that I just can't get past. They should stick to the information and make their shows shorter. Their banter is worthless.

Does that make me a crybaby whiner? Who ****ing cares?

I am usually pressed for time (don't have a commute to work) and listen to Podcasts only when walking the dog. Sunday Session is way too long and off-topic for me, but I love the Jamil show. I'm learning more about styles, and I find it very helpful.

I listen to Basic Brewing Radio far more often- it's about 45 minutes to an hour, and perfect length for dog walking.

I like podcasts that stay on topic and don't wander around. Sure, some of it is entertaining, but I've learned the most from listening to experts talk about styles, techniques, recipes, hops, water chemistry, etc. and I'd like the podcasts to stay more focused.

I think it depends what your looking for. If you want the info NOW, BN can be a little tedious. I can also understand if you don't like the "locker room" humor.

I listen to it during my commute and when I'm doing yard work. I need something to pass the time, as well as provide information. I like the format of the BN shows for that reason.

I listen to it at work while sitting in my office, so the banter and length don't bother me at all. As a matter of fact, that Lunch Meet show cracks me up.

I'm listening to the Jamil Show right now at work. I usually just repeat two shows each day so that if I miss anything I'll catch it the second time around. The BN podcasts are definitely funnier, but sometimes I prefer Basic Brewing Radio because James gets to the point.

I spend an hour a day on a bus going to and from work and I've worked my way though most of the podcasts on BN. I tried Basic Brewing, but I found them too dry for me. Lots of information, not much entertainment. I like how Jamil and the guys go off topic. That's what keeps me awake. I've gotten some strange looks when I've laughed out loud at something they said or did though.

I checked out the Sunday Sessions a while back and enjoyed them ok, but the adult content made it impossible for me to listen to in the car with the kids around. It's just way too long and off topic too often as well.

I started listening to Brew Strong and really like it. Some very good info there. Still have not checked out Can you Brew it.

Basic Brewing is great for the information, but the style is more like NPR. Both are good places to get podcasts, and there is a variety of styles and formats to suit everybody. Give them all a try!

For forums, this place is better IMO. Lots more people and discussion. Not that the BN doesn't give good info. I just prefer HBT.

So how long has The Brewing Network been around? I found it on Google just recently when searching for something beer related.

I wish they would condense the information. I cannot listen to them because they're sense of humor just doesn't work for me. I will skip through certain shows to listen to parts, but overall, there's a lot of BS filler that I just can't get past. They should stick to the information and make their shows shorter. Their banter is worthless.

Does that make me a crybaby whiner? Who ****ing cares?

Wow, two "I think you're right 'voodoo" comments from me in the same week. :D

I agree, I have no problem with off color or raunchy humor, when I want to watch or listen to a comedian. But when I want brewing info, that's all I want to hear.

I don't want music beds or breaks like it is some commercial radio station, and I don't want 2 or 3 hour shows that can't stay on the topic at hand because of excess bantering.

That's why I tend to like Basic Brewing....Because it is straight to the point usually, on topic and less than an hour in length. I think mayeb with my background in Public radio production, I appreciate the fact that James Spencer is a professional audio production person and announcer, and his show just sounds professional.

The Jamil Show and Can You Brew It are great and the humor, if a bit sophmoric, keeps it lively IMO! Even SWMBO finds them interesting and funny. :)

Brew Strong is good too if the subject is something that piques my interest, otherwise its a bit dry...I pretty much feel the same about Basic Brewing.

Interesting that the things that some people like about network or the other are the things that other folks dislike about them. I like the tangents and off-color humor. I especially liked the Brew Strong episode about dry hopping. As soon as they got to hop sacks and what you should do with your sack... it was a great sidetrack. :D

Interesting that the things that some people like about network or the other are the things that other folks dislike about them. I like the tangents and off-color humor. I especially liked the Brew Strong episode about dry hopping. As soon as they got to hop sacks and what you should do with your sack... it was a great sidetrack. :D

Yeah, I don't mind it so much on principle, but when I'm trying to listen in the car while with the kids, I just can't play those. Plus, sometimes I'll listening to a Sunday Session and be going, "What the hell? I can't believe i'm just sitting here listening to some drunk guys BS about random stuff!"

Don't get me wrong, sometimes SS has some great interviews, and topics, but the ratio of what interests me and what is fluff is poor IMO. No worries, though. I know some people who dig that, and I bet it's hard to fill 3 hours each week with new and entertaining brewing-only information.

I just realized that maybe if I drank beer while listening to the SS, I'd probably enjoy it a bit more!

yup found BN a two or three months back. I have listened to almost all of the Brew Strongs and many of the Jamil shows. I am running out of shows and I feel lost in the car without my BN.

Before I brew any given style now, I will listen to the Jamil show on it. At first I didn't like the humor and would skip past the beginning, which is where they are most often off topic, but I eventually found myself enjoying it. you get used to their humor and it kinda feels like you're screwing around with old friends when they do the bad humor or get off topic.

if you just want the "condensed" version of the Jamil Show, buy Brewing Classic Styles. The recipes that he gives in each show are almost always the same as in the book. Here are some of the recipes also Jamil's Recipes .

With Brew Strong, Jamil Show/Can You Brew It?, putting out the brewing
tips the Session has turned into a show with a lot more bull****ting around then actual brewing info. (I still listen to it though.)
The older Sunday sessions had a lot more info. They have a "Truth In All Grain" show in their archives I'd recommend to any new all grain brewer.

I really like what the BN puts out. Brew Strong and Jamil Show are my #1 and #2 Brewing podcasts. I feel that with John Palmer, Jamil, and Tasty there is a technical expertise that is unmatched in other media (other than HBT of course!) Basic Brewing is my #3, but I feel they do less brewing and more eating, too much emphasis on food. I appreciate food and beer, but too many of their shows are not brewing related. The BN's third show, The Sunday Session, is a waste of time IMHO. They could have a more productive use of their resources.

I really like what the BN puts out. Brew Strong and Jamil Show are my #1 and #2 Brewing podcasts. I feel that with John Palmer, Jamil, and Tasty there is a technical expertise that is unmatched in other media (other than HBT of course!) Basic Brewing is my #3, but I feel they do less brewing and more eating, too much emphasis on food. I appreciate food and beer, but too many of their shows are not brewing related. The BN's third show, The Sunday Session, is a waste of time IMHO. They could have a more productive use of their resources.

I haven't listened to BBR in a while. I'd be interested in more food stuff! The only thing that goes better with beer than food is... Nope, not even that!

i listen to alot of Can you Brew it and Brew Stong at work. just started listening to the Sunday Session. i do get alot of good info from it.

i took up running this year and i started listening to brew strong while on long runs. takes my mind off the fact i'm fat/slow/tired of running haha.

i listen to alot of Can you Brew it and Brew Stong at work. just started listening to the Sunday Session. i do get alot of good info from it.

i took up running this year and i started listening to brew strong while on long runs. takes my mind off the fact i'm fat/slow/tired of running haha.

OMG!!! This is exactly what I do. As long as there's something other than music on the iPod, something I actually have to pay attention to, then I don't think so much about how it's not even 6am, I'm out here jogging in the dark and just want to stop! :mug:

Wow, it's like we all had this pent-up thing about these different pod casts!

I love the BN, and the Sunday Session in particular. BBR is ok too, but they are two completely different animals. Apples and Oranges. It's just a matter of preference.

Careful talking about The Brewing Network, there are a lot of crybaby whiners here that get offended by The BN.

Thanks for the head -up from the forum that brought you "**** feelings".

You'll note today that some crybaby over at the BN got 4 threads closed.

We only had 1 over the same time-period.:drunk:

I used to listen to the jamil show and brewstrong, but the off topic chat and giggling over armpit-farts got to be too much. I got a ton of good info from those podcasts, and I also like a good fart joke, but don't make me dig through one to find the other. If those two made podcasts the same way they wrote books I'd be all over it. The difference is editing.

I don't like the "Drunk of the Week" portion of the Sunday Session. I'm not comfortable with homebrewing or homebrewers encouraging people to drink that much.

The last show I listened to the guy who won said he "Chugged a DFH 120." No one should ever be encouraged to do that. The beer deserves better.

I'm a BN fan. Their information has trickled down through his site more than people realize I think. They do a great service to our craft even if it is a bit sophmoric at times.

Latest posts

Back