Orange Choc Port vs Raspberry Choc Port Poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SueMac

Reaction score
Okay, I'm making my plan for later in the year when special kits are available.

I made 3 gallons of Orange Chocolate Port in mid-December. My husband LOVES it and even though the Port is barely 3 months bottled, there are only a few of the 15 bottles remaining.
While I'm hoping to get at least 2 OCP kits next fall, I'm wondering how the Orange Raspberry Port compares. There are those who have stated that the ORP is a lot better. If you've tasted both, WHAT DO YOU THINK???:D

Thanks for asking this question-I'm interested in others oppinions as well. I have an OCP that is bulk aging and it does taste very good right now-after just a few months. I have wondered about the Orange Rasberry myself. Maybe I'll do one of each next year.

Question for you on the batch of OCP......did you "tweak" it with any everclear?

I made the OC Port a couple of years ago and, without exception, everyone loved it. I may have a 375 or two buried somewhere... My Chocolate Raspberry Port has been bulk aging for 6 months and I haven't even sneaked a taste yet so I don't know how it compares. I've heard good things about it but I do know the Orange has taken 3-4 times as many awards.

Thanks for asking this question-I'm interested in others oppinions as well. I have an OCP that is bulk aging and it does taste very good right now-after just a few months. I have wondered about the Orange Rasberry myself. Maybe I'll do one of each next year.

Question for you on the batch of OCP......did you "tweak" it with any everclear?

No, I didn't tweak it for a few reasons. First, Everclear isn't available in MA. I believe RI is the closest state to sell it. I thought about adding brandy but with all the craziness before Christmas when I made it, I forgot to add it when I racked to secondary. By the time I realized it, it was close to the time I could bottle. I still could have added it and then bulk aged a lot longer but impatience overruled!
It tastes great and has enough of a kick without anything added. Next time I may add brandy and will bulk age longer so my husband won't touch it! (Okay, maybe I'll be nice and make in 2 separate carboys and he can touch 1/2!):)

I went to a local home brew beer and wine show last weekend. The "Best in Show" was a Rasberry Chocolate Port that a friend of mine made.

He is a beer brewer.

It was his first attempt at a kit wine. Finish date is still one month away.

Couldn't keep enough open bottles on the counter!

Not my style, but everybody else LOVED it.

Back