Munich Light discription please???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
I''ve ordered the ingredients for my next 2 brews, one of which is a Rye Blonde. Planned grain bill is
6# 2-row
3# Rye malt
2# Light Munich
.5# Crystal 20
.25# Flaked Wheat

I've never used munich before. I understand it can be used as a base-malt, but some websites have it listed as a color malt. Also I see alot of recipes with 1# or so of munich. Is there a chance 2# munich is too much? What is the real flavor profile and strength of Munich malt? As I understand it's a slightly more toasted base malt, bringing in drier maltier character too the party.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Schlante,
Phillip

Two pounds of munich isn't excessive in my opinion, but it's all about the percent of your grain bill. Munich is one of my favorite malts (just the smell of the malt is pretty awesome). It mainly contributes strong malty flavors. Munich comes in two varieties usually: light and dark. Light is usually around 10°L while dark is 20°L. The lighter variety has more diastatic power and less roasted character than dark. It also contributes less amber color.

in beersmith it looks like that grain bill gets an srm of about 8. Changing to 1 lb munic gets an srm of about 7. I guess it depends on how blonde you like ur blondes. Munich has a nice flavor that i find very hard to describe. but its nice.

The Amber Lager I brewed Saturday had 3 lbs of Munich and a pound of Vienna. The wort has a very nice, roast malt smell to it. It should be a nice change from the series of lighter brews I have done lately.

These beers are both 100% Munich malt.
10578d1239281699-munich-tett-lager-smash-what-style-munichtett.jpg

I brewed the one on the left with AHS-supplied Munich and a single decoction to 1.049 OG.
AnOldUR's on the right is 1.056 with 1.5# of the Munich home-toasted and a double decoction.

Munich is my favorite base malt. It makes beers that taste like the smell you get when you open a fresh bag of DME... if that makes any sense.:)

Thanks a lot guys for the replies. Seems in line with my understanding but I was a bit put off by the munich being listed as something other than a basemalt on some sites. Since I hadn't used it before figured I'd use the wealth of info here! Good job.

Nice Naval Acadamy pint glass 944play!

Forgot to mention I'm bittering with glacier, and am adding 1/2 oz. Summit @ 20 & 2 mins. Should be a nice quaffer as the summer months are here.

Schlante,
Phillip

Latest posts

Back