BCS Control Panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvino

Reaction score
Now that I'm going on my stand (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/finally-brewstand-274025/) I need to get the controls figured out. I searched and searched and can't find what I'm looking for. Does anyone have a link to a thread or document that shows how to wire up a control panel for use with the BCS?? I want to control pumps, honeywell gas valves, monitor temps, etc. I was hoping to find a cheat sheet to kind of go by or follow. This is not an electric brewery, just plain old LP gas. If it was E power I would be dialed!!

Thanks!!!

Jeremiah

Those are helpful. I'll start reading. Do the 24v furnace gas valves need an SSR or with the BCS do the switching??

as i'm sure you have or will read...make sure your control box is oversized. Nothing worse than trying to cram everything in small box. Mine is perfect sized but no where to grow. As mentioned you will need relays for outputs to control pumps and gas valves. Temp probes are direct wired into the BCS controller.

THANK YOU!!!! That looks to be the perfect solution. Nice and clean too!!! In the shopping basket it goes!!

as i'm sure you have or will read...make sure your control box is oversized. Nothing worse than trying to cram everything in small box.

Plus 1 on this suggestion and also the suggestion to read through the wiki. I just finished rebuilding my BCS-460-based system. My original config was way too cramped and I didn't even have a control panel, so everything was controlled via the web interface.

My upgraded version includes a control panel that gives me a bit more flexibility. I don't have a cheat sheet but I have a few pics on my blog that might give you some ideas.

I use my system to control my HERMS, so two heating elements and a pump for a total of three SSR's. My control panel consists of (2) two-way switches for the elements, (1) three-way switch for pump, and a momentary switch that allows me to advance to the next state in a process. The two-way switches are just off-on, so when they're in the "off" position, the elements aren't powered up and when they're in the "on" position they're controlled automatically by the BCS460. The three-way switch for the pump is essentially an auto-off-manual switch. I'd strongly suggest going with these 'cause there may be times that you want to manually run your pumps without running a process.

The three-way switch for the pump is essentially an auto-off-manual switch. I'd strongly suggest going with these 'cause there may be times that you want to manually run your pumps without running a process.

P.S. I got all my panel mount switches on ebay...much cheaper than I could find elsewhere. All of them are 22mm panel mount switches and I bought them from a seller by the name of tree kicker. This should link to the items he/she has for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/tree_kicker...296&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&_trksid=p4340.l2562

Back