100th gallon brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerjunky828

Reaction score
So this was my 20th batch of beer and wine. It is suppose to be an amber but we will get back to that later. I have not brewed in 3 months due to financial woes and time constraints. So today was the day to get the ball rolling. I just had 2 kegs cut and soon to be converted to a HLT and MLT. Just moved into a new and much nicer living quarters.

This is the first time I was able to use my IC to cool down the wort. So brew day goes well. I was able to start the boil and pitch the yeast within 90 minutes. That was soooo amazing for me. Here is the recipe.

This is the recipe: (P.M. and full boil)
Approx 1 lb. of Cara Amber and 40L 6-Row malt
1 tsp gypsum
7.3 lbs of light/pale LME (60 mins.)
2/3 lbs. corn sugar (@15 mins)

.5 oz Millenium @ 60 mins.
.5 oz Cascade @ 60 mins.
.5 oz Millenium @ 30 mins.
.5 oz Cascade @ 30 mins.
sprinkle of irish moss @ 15 mins.
1 oz Crystal @ 10 mins.
1 oz Liberty @ flame out

Rehydrated Safale US-05 Ale yeast
Pitched @ approx 70 - 75 F

O.G. - 1.060

So here is the catch. My roommate and I were pouring the wort into the carboy. I go "Jake, go and get me a small cup so I can get a gravity reading". After about a half of a minute, he comes with a cup and we pour off about 6 oz. Then we pour the rest into the fermentor and I go and take a gravity reading.

HOLY MOTHER OF JESUS MARY there is a freaking dead bug in the hydrometer. RDWHAHB right? Not quite, I examine the carboy over and over again. No creatures in sight. I am relieved and decide to relax and dont worry about it and drink a beer (Olde Hickory Brewery Table Rock Pale Ale, have to give a shout out!).(no homebrew in stock). The brew day went flawless until something such as this had to happen.

I look back and wonder if my friend had waited too long or got to me too quickly would there be a dead bug getting devoured by my yeasties. Divine intervention. The beer gods were smiling down upon me tonight my friends.
I guess we will have to wait and see how this will turn out though. The hydro sample tasted very well and I am very, very much in anticipation.

At any rate at least my new chiller can cool wort from 212 F to 79 F in under 15 minutes. And cut my brewday down by 30 to 45 minutes.

Hey, nothing wrong with a little protein in the beer!

At any rate at least my new chiller can cool wort from 212 F to 79 F in under 15 minutes. And cut my brewday down by 30 to 45 minutes.
Good God, man!! You either have the coldest water supply on earth, or your wort chiller is 75 feet of 1" OD copper! I just cooled about 3.75 gallons of wort this past weekend, and it took almost 85 minutes in a tub of ice to get it down to pitching temp.

You been hanging around East Hall too long when you start seeing bugs in your hydrometer readings... just saying!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, nothing wrong with a little protein in the beer!

Good God, man!! You either have the coldest water supply on earth, or your wort chiller is 75 feet of 1" OD copper! I just cooled about 3.75 gallons of wort this past weekend, and it took almost 85 minutes in a tub of ice to get it down to pitching temp.

Yes the water supply here in the mountains is quite cold. It is great! My chiller is only 25' of copper. In fact, I purchased the chiller off of a HBT'er. I just can't believe it only took 90 mins from boil to pitching and I was done. The beer has started fermentation slower than usual. I think I underareated.

You been hanging around East Hall too long when you start seeing bugs in your hydrometer readings... just saying!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That might have been the case a few years ago but they have really cleaned up East Hall. Personally, I enjoyed it more when it was wild. App State grad I presume or you just like to come up and party? Good ol' Happy Appy

Back