As a partial mash brewer, should I really be in the AG forum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankard

Reaction score
I've always found it kind of strange how partial mashing is coupled with All Grain brewing here at HBT. I seem to identify with extract brewers more than all grain brewers, simply because extract is still such a huge part of the partial mash method. I think partial mashing has a lot more in common with extract brewing than it does with all grain. All grain still seems like another dimension compared to the other two.

Would it make more sense to have an "Extract and Partial Mash brewing" forum and a separate "All Grain Brewing" forum?

Opinions?

A pure extract or extract with steeping grains brewer doesn't need to worry about the finer points of mashing so I think it makes sense. You wouldn't want to be posting about pH or crush issues affecting your conversion in the extract forum. So to me it makes sense, but that's just the opinion of one man. :)

I have always been under the impression that partial mash is utilizing starch conversion of grains for a portion of sugar and extract for the rest. In such a case I would always recommend going all the way it is too much work for not being all grain. I'd say this would be an appropriate place for partial mash brewers just for the close proximity for all-grain brewers to proselytize the all-grain way.</my opinion>

Use of specialty grains not as a sugar adjunct so much as for color/flavor/body/head retention in an extract batch I would not call a partial mash as no starch conversion takes place.

The Mash is the common element. All techniques for managing an AG mash apply to PM, just on a smaller scale.

Where would we draw the line?

I do AG but tweak my gravity prior to boil with DME so I will hit my target SG when I'm done...

GT

Got Trub? said:

I do AG but tweak my gravity prior to boil with DME so I will hit my target SG when I'm done...

GT
Maybe we could call that partial extract. If you want to call it all grain I won't tell on you:D

When making and extract and steep beers you do not have to understand how to make your own wort.

With PM and AG you do.
Making your own wort is the big difference.

agreed. if you're just steeping and using extract, you have no worries about efficiency, pH, etc.

if you're truly mashing, you have a lot of variables to control...more complexity, and you can ruin your beer before you even start to boil.

The way I see it, a true PM'er is actually a Grain brewer that just can't do full boils so they have to 'top off' with extract. everything else related to AG applies.

Nobody wants you, you're a hybrid! j/k :D

I give you props, you're closer to AG than I am.

Ok - not to sound noobish... and my threads/replies should probably be still in the 'Beginner's Forum', but I have been reading a lot about AG and really want to do it. my problem is that I've seen recipes in the AG forum that confuse me...

Correct me if I'm wrong, from what I have read/heard, AG is is using all grains and no extract (dried or liquid). Am I to assume that if you AG, by the time you begin your boil, you are done with the grain part. Once you begin your full boil, the only thing you add to the wort is the hops... correct?

The reason i ask is because i thought i saw some recipes listed as AG, but I still saw acronyms such as 'DME', and Light DME... which I take means dried malt extract and such... which wouldn't be all grain.. correct?

My next question is this: I saw some tutorial on AG brewing, where the initial mash called for 3.5 gallons of water to be heated to 160 degrees, then poured into the MLT for a 60 minute mash. After the 60 minute mash, the water is recirculated until clarification, then drained into the kettle. After that, another 4 gallons was heated to 170 degrees, and poured into the grains for sparging purposes.. This water was recirculated until clear, and then drained into the kettle.... Now.. in the tutorial, it says that you will have 6 gallons in the kettle to be boiled for a 5 gallon batch. Ok -- now im confused... 3.5+4 = 7.5... right? Does 1.5 gallons of water disappear or does it remain soaked into the grains in the MLT? If thats the case... then I understand where the 6 gallons come from. Now, for a 5 gallon batch... does a gallon of water evaporate during the boil?

Any answers to my confusion will be appreciated.

Thanks!

I love partial mashing. I usually mash more than the usual PM brewer though. I never use less than 50% real grains in my recipes. Usually about 5-6lbs of real grain. In the future I'll be AG for sure...

Bmc401 said:
Ok - not to sound noobish... and my threads/replies should probably be still in the 'Beginner's Forum', but I have been reading a lot about AG and really want to do it. my problem is that I've seen recipes in the AG forum that confuse me...

Correct me if I'm wrong, from what I have read/heard, AG is is using all grains and no extract (dried or liquid). Am I to assume that if you AG, by the time you begin your boil, you are done with the grain part. Once you begin your full boil, the only thing you add to the wort is the hops... correct?

The reason i ask is because i thought i saw some recipes listed as AG, but I still saw acronyms such as 'DME', and Light DME... which I take means dried malt extract and such... which wouldn't be all grain.. correct?

My next question is this: I saw some tutorial on AG brewing, where the initial mash called for 3.5 gallons of water to be heated to 160 degrees, then poured into the MLT for a 60 minute mash. After the 60 minute mash, the water is recirculated until clarification, then drained into the kettle. After that, another 4 gallons was heated to 170 degrees, and poured into the grains for sparging purposes.. This water was recirculated until clear, and then drained into the kettle.... Now.. in the tutorial, it says that you will have 6 gallons in the kettle to be boiled for a 5 gallon batch. Ok -- now im confused... 3.5+4 = 7.5... right? Does 1.5 gallons of water disappear or does it remain soaked into the grains in the MLT? If thats the case... then I understand where the 6 gallons come from. Now, for a 5 gallon batch... does a gallon of water evaporate during the boil?

Any answers to my confusion will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Those 1.5 gallons get absorbed by the grain and/or sit in the bottom of your MLT where you can't get it out :). Play around with some brew software; it'll let you learn a lot about the process.

Got Trub? said:
Why do we have to draw lines? It's all just beer...

Rules of thumb, I suppose:
If your question pertains to mashing, ask it in the AG forum. If your question pertains to extract types and calculations, ask it in the extract forum. If you're not sure where to post, use the beginner's section or general techniques section.

I don't pay much attention to where the posts are, I just use the "New Posts" button and get involved in the threads that interest me.

RadicalEd said:
Play around with some brew software; it'll let you learn a lot about the process.

Didn't know there was any such software.. any suggestions?

Bmc401 said:
Didn't know there was any such software.. any suggestions?

Yup, there are several popular software programs -- Beer Tools, ProMash, & Beersmith are the the biggies.

A lot of us are big fans of Beersmith because it is in active development. It is a lot of fun to play around with. I downloaded the 30-day free trial and had sent in my $20 by, um, day 5 or so. Beersmith doesn't cure cancer or solve the world's ills or anything, and it does have a couple of flaws that need fixing, but it's a damn good program and will give you a feel for what tweaks will do what in your recipes.

Chad

Back