co2 refill in Atlanta?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMiles74

Reaction score
I've seen several places in ATL to exchange co2 but I would rather just fill my new canister somewhere but I can't seem to find any place that does it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Look for places that sell and service fire extinguishers. Most of them will just fill your tank. I was in the same boat, got a shiny new tank and didn't want to swap it out.

Ace Hardware in Smyrna will do it but it's kind of pricey. Like about $20 and they charge a flat fee, not by the amount they dispense. That's still better than the exchange though because they fill it all the way instead of only 15 pounds you get from exchanging. I think some U-haul locations will fill as well, and I think they are cheaper than Ace.

This was such a pain for me when I moved here. The only place I found that would refill was a paintball shop on Barrett PKWY in Kennesaw. A long drive but I had a 10 lb tank so I only gotta do it like once a year. Called "Georgia Paintball" I actually gotta get my annual fill this weekend.

InBev is where I go to get my CO2 refilled. Also of utmost importance is to make sure you are getting 'food grade' CO2. Lots of companies will refill your CO2, but few are of food grade quality. If you're not getting food grade you will probably have trace amounts of harmful elements w/ each fill...

The food grade is not the CO2 itself, it's the tank it's stored in.

Ace Hardware in Smyrna will do it but it's kind of pricey. Like about $20 and they charge a flat fee, not by the amount they dispense. That's still better than the exchange though because they fill it all the way instead of only 15 pounds you get from exchanging. I think some U-haul locations will fill as well, and I think they are cheaper than Ace.

Wow, just realized I read "co2" as "propane". I am dumb. Disregard my comments, unless you want to know where to get propane tanks filled.

WTF....I meant to say Beverage Control in Stone Mountain, not InBev....

Re CO2: yes, there is a difference in CO2 grades, with "lab" being the highest and is also certifiable (think hospital grade oxygen). There is some debate as to how much of a difference there is between "food" and "industrial" grade...gases labeled industrial do however allow for a higher amount of impurities. And in addition to.....yes the type of tank is also important as well. Food grade will normally have some type of protective layer in case of back flow....

Wow, just realized I read "co2" as "propane". I am dumb. Disregard my comments, unless you want to know where to get propane tanks filled.

No problem, I too take my propane to ace for refills. I found that the exchange program and me brewing at least once monthly and grilling I was exchanging tanks almost monthly!

WTF....I meant to say Beverage Control in Stone Mountain, not InBev....

Re CO2: yes, there is a difference in CO2 grades, with "lab" being the highest and is also certifiable (think hospital grade oxygen). There is some debate as to how much of a difference there is between "food" and "industrial" grade...gases labeled industrial do however allow for a higher amount of impurities. And in addition to.....yes the type of tank is also important as well. Food grade will normally have some type of protective layer in case of back flow....

This is the only olace in Atlanta that I've heard sales the "food grade" co2. I live close to barrett pkwy I wonder what "type" of co2 is used for paintball? And how much more harmful is it compared to the food grade?? Hmmmm...

Thanks for all the information!

I would venture to say that most of the folks that get CO2 refills on this forum aren't paying for "food grade". I don't think the differences are enormous, but I guess someone with more knowledge on the subject could prove me wrong, but I get mine filled at a local fire extinguisher place, I know tons of folks who also get them filled at paintball shops (for a lot more money) and I haven't heard of anyone having any problems on here yet. YMMV.

I work in the industrial gas business and typically when co2 is put on a truck, it is food grade. Industrial grade is normally put in a pipeline and sent to an industrial site. Obviously all the co2 places we are talking about here got their co2 off a truck.

I work in the industrial gas business and typically when co2 is put on a truck, it is food grade. Industrial grade is normally put in a pipeline and sent to an industrial site. Obviously all the co2 places we are talking about here got their co2 off a truck.

Thanks for the info. Good to know for future reference.

How about Airgas on North St. Downtown. Has anyone tried them? I'm also in the market and I currently send my 5lb bottle home with a coworker that lives near beer necessities. That works but I would like something a little closer and North is right around the corner from the office. Thanks!

How about Airgas on North St. Downtown. Has anyone tried them? I'm also in the market and I currently send my 5lb bottle home with a coworker that lives near beer necessities. That works but I would like something a little closer and North is right around the corner from the office. Thanks!

I've used them to fill Co2 tanks for my fish aquarium back in the day.. they are perfectly fine..

No problem, I too take my propane to ace for refills. I found that the exchange program and me brewing at least once monthly and grilling I was exchanging tanks almost monthly!

Buy your own tanks, you can find them cheap. Get a BJ's membership. I get 4 of my tanks fills, and it's under $14 or so last time for each fill.

Try Blind Murphy's Craft Beer Store in Alpharetta. They have a program where you give them a $50 deposit for one of their 5# tanks and then it's only $10 to fill the tank whenever you need more. When you no longer want the tank you just give it back to them for your $50 deposit back.

FATC1TY said:
Buy your own tanks, you can find them cheap. Get a BJ's membership. I get 4 of my tanks fills, and it's under $14 or so last time for each fill.

They are asking about co2 refills, not propane. Good advice about the propane tanks though, I usually pay around $16 for a 20# propane refill from BJ's compared to $20 for a 15# exchange from Blue Rhino or Amerigas.

They are asking about co2 refills, not propane. Good advice about the propane tanks though, I usually pay around $16 for a 20# propane refill from BJ's compared to $20 for a 15# exchange from Blue Rhino or Amerigas.

I know.. Thats why I quoted the guy who was talking about propane...

I use Airgas. I haven't been to the downtown location, but I've gone to the one off of Peachtree Industrial several times. I asked them and they said it was all food grade now. I get both CO2 and beergas.

Try Blind Murphy's Craft Beer Store in Alpharetta. They have a program where you give them a $50 deposit for one of their 5# tanks and then it's only $10 to fill the tank whenever you need more. When you no longer want the tank you just give it back to them for your $50 deposit back.

That sounds like a win to me. I was looking to buy a tank, but they all cost at least that deposit, even used (from what I've seen).

DrHops said:

I didn't know that. To any of you who don't own a tank, you won't find a better deal than this.

Just learned that Beer Necessities 10595 Old Alabama Connector Rd Ste 10 Alpharetta, GA 30022 refills CO2 tanks while you wait. Haven't tried it yet and I'm not sure how much they charge, as I still have plenty of gas left. However, I figured I'd pass the information along...

Wine Workshop and Brew Center in Decatur now swaps 5lb tanks. Convenient for those on the east side of town that can't make it out to Tucker during business hours. I think they charge 18 or 20$

Premier aquatics in Marietta. I dropped mine and picked it up 2 days later. 20lbs $18. I called everywhere checking prices. This was the best deal by far.

Well damn! 32$ for a 10lb refill at Beer Necessities! I won't try that again. Beverage Control in Tucker charges 10 bucks for 5lb and 10lb refills....

Well damn! 32$ for a 10lb refill at Beer Necessities! I won't try that again. Beverage Control in Tucker charges 10 bucks for 5lb and 10lb refills....

I have to go here as it's on my way home from work but they are a last resort for me. Anyplace close to buckhead/midtown?

Old thread but I thought I would update. Beer Necessities charges $32 for a 10# refill while Beverage Control only charges $11. Its worth driving out of my way to save $21 especially since it's just once a year.

I fill my home soda maker (20oz same as paintball) from Ga Paintball (Kennesaw). While you wait. Nice guys, cool toys...drinking AND guns. Lol.
I've been drinking their gas for over a year with no ill effects.
And since I'm only making fizzy water, I notice NO strange tastes that I can attribute to the gas.
Paintball tanks are $5 but their prices are scaleable so give them a call.

Latest posts

Back