1/2 Liter bottles -- dumb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billpaustin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In Germany, wheat beers are served in 1/2 liter sizes. I'm gathering 1/2 liter bottles from German wheat beer, and was wanting to bottle into them.

There should be no problem capping the 1/2 liter bottles, or re-using them, right? I figure it is a dumb question.

None that I can think of, assuming they are not twist offs. I have several that I use with no problems.

In Germany, wheat beers are served in 1/2 liter sizes. I'm gathering 1/2 liter bottles from German wheat beer, and was wanting to bottle into them.

There should be no problem capping the 1/2 liter bottles, or re-using them, right? I figure it is a dumb question.

German beers for the UK/north american/US market or German beers for the European market.

some european bottles use a 29mm cap that needs a special capper bell.
UK/north american/US bottle use a 26mm (we call standard) cap.

German beers for the UK/north american/US market or German beers for the European market.

some european bottles use a 29mm cap that needs a special capper bell.
UK/north american/US bottle use a 26mm (we call standard) cap.

This is why I love this forum :rockin:

These would be North American 1/2 liter bottles.

Except for a few 1 liter plastic bottles, I use 1/2 liter bottles exclusively. They are very attractive, take up less space, less cleaning time etc. I've never had a issue with cap size so I'm guessing that the 29mm cap size must be rare?

I'd like to convert the world to 1/2 liter bottles, but to each his own...

For what it's worth, I do find them more difficult to cap. So much so that I avoid them at this point. The brewers best caps worked better than some of the others. FYI I use the simple black crank capper, bench capper probably works better

I tend to rack up a lot of 29mm bottles because we are fans of Belgian imports, but for standard size Jolly Pumpkin bottles are my favorite.

In Europe/Germany, all beers except the high gravity Belgians come in 0.5L bottles. I brought several cases of swing top bottles back. They do take a little longer to carb up but they are a more appropriate size for your Weizen, or any other old world beer. If you have plastic cases made for the little 12 ouncers, the 0.5L bottles will not fit. They go 20 to a case.

Prost!

I use 1/2 liter pellegrino bottles exclusively (they serve them in the cafeteria at work so infinite supply). Regular crown caps fit on them perfectly and very easy to clean (no sugar, just sparkling water!). Takes a bit longer to carb up but with a solid pipeline you will never notice.

Back