Temperature Controllers for Refrigerators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IL1kebeer

Reaction score
Do those external temperature controllers for fridges only regulate the temp of the fridge, or will they mess with the freezer's temp too? I have a spare fridge and I want to use it for fermenting while still being able to use the freezer for food.

Do those external temperature controllers for fridges only regulate the temp of the fridge, or will they mess with the freezer's temp too? I have a spare fridge and I want to use it for fermenting while still being able to use the freezer for food.

I don't think you can do that. When I put a control on my fridge, the freezer kept the same temp as the fridge. Or close enough.

Generally speaking... you've got just one compressor, so the freezer and fridge will both be taking orders from the temp controller.

You can tie into the control dial of the fridge stat if it has one. You would have to know how to read diagrams and improvise but it is possible. One compressor can do both.

Lame. SWMBO will definitely not let me use the spare fridge to ferment if it means the freezer will be out of commission. Back to the drawing board...

The controllers go inline of your AC plug to the wall. Get a smaller chest freezer from Craigslist. I got a $100 fridge and I can only do one beer in it it at a time with a chest freezer you can do more. Also you can convert it to a keezer down the road.

The controllers go inline of your AC plug to the wall. Get a smaller chest freezer from Craigslist. I got a $100 fridge and I can only do one beer in it it at a time with a chest freezer you can do more. Also you can convert it to a keezer down the road.

Exactly, but hey you can still use your spare fridge to lager a beer at a time, without even buying another temp controller.

Not all controllers work that way. You can use 24 volt digital controller with a built in defrost controller and temp controls for fridge and freezer. Use a 24v damper that opens and closes to keep fridge at desired temp.

Latest posts

Back