Diacetyl rest lager or just rack it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiedog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed that the krausen on my Pre-Prohibition lager had fallen and I had missed it happening. It probably happened over night or I didn't realize it was happening when I last checked it. Is it still okay to do a diacetyl rest, or is it even needed?

Fermentation took 10 days with White Labs American Lager Yeast WLP840, pitched at 69F (I know I should have cooled it more). Brought down to 54F within the first 24 hours. I have no temp controller yet, but was able to keep temp mostly between 48 - 50F, with occasional short time low of 47.8F and high of 52.5. I am slowly bringing the temp up to 55.

Should I rack it or rest it first?

Best I can figure with d-rest when I did research on it prior to my first lager:

Pros) Cleans up diacetyl.
Cons) Takes an extra 2-3 days?

I didn't see any other downside than time, so I see no reason not to do it now. The krausen may have fallen, but I think you have enough active yeast to still clean up diacetyl, as yeast typically are capable of cleaning up diacetyl during the lagering process anyway, so they haven't become too dormant to do their job.

Yep, a D-rest at 60-65 for a couple days is easy insurance(assurance?).
Slighty sideways topic- I was never sure I knew what Diacetyl tasted like until this weekend when I sampled my Oktoberfest brewed back in November vs. a Special Bitter that I brewed 12/31. The bitter definitely had a buttery taste. It's only been in the bottles for a week so will probably cleanup some.

the good old brau kaiser has posted some diacetyl readings in different lager fermentation regimes (pinched from TU vienna whatever that is) here
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fermenting_Lagers
look that the graphs just over halfway down the page. in these instances you can see that just leaving the fermentation alone the diacetyl level slowly continues dropping even after terminal gravity is reached in cold storage (A) or when it is held for long periods at fermentation temp (D), but indeed it drops more quickly with a temp increase for D-rest (F), even in this case the D-rest is done after terminal gravity is pretty much reached. these are specific examples but are useful when thinking about your strategy; according to these data your increase after terminal gravity (did you check the gravity?) is still highly effective for reducing diacetyl.

Thank you guys so much for all the information and input to my question. Since I had pitched the yeast about 10F above fermentation temp range, I decided to do a D-rest. I read somewhere that higher pitching temps can contribute to diacetyl, though lagers aren't prone to high D. No SG taken yet, didn't want to open the primary until I have to. Anyway, I'll D-rest at 60 -62 for a couple of days, then cool and rack to secondary and check SG. It'll be interesting to see (and taste) the results. I have another lager lined up for the primary. I'll pitch at fermentation temps, skip the diacetyl and compare the results. Sound reasonable?

Thank you guys so much for all the information and input to my question. Since I had pitched the yeast about 10F above fermentation temp range, I decided to do a D-rest. I read somewhere that higher pitching temps can contribute to diacetyl, though lagers aren't prone to high D. No SG taken yet, didn't want to open the primary until I have to. Anyway, I'll D-rest at 60 -62 for a couple of days, then cool and rack to secondary and check SG. It'll be interesting to see (and taste) the results. I have another lager lined up for the primary. I'll pitch at fermentation temps, skip the diacetyl and compare the results. Sound reasonable?

Check the SG before cooling and racking! If it's at FG with absolutely no hint of diacetyl, then it can be racked and the lagering period begun. If it's not quite done, or you have any oiliness in the mouthfeel at all, then extend the diacteyl rest until any slickness is absent in the sample!

Well. this afternoon I pulled a sample of my (1st ever) pre-pro Lager after 1 days in primary and 2 days D-rest.

expected OG: 1,042 - 1.048; actual:1.054
expected FG: 1,008 - 1.014 SG currently: 1.011
Taste test: Darn Good! (concenus of 4 people)
My son-in-law said he could drink it now! I'm happy - going to rack to secondary

I welcome any additional advice or recommendations. Thanks!

I've been doing a lot of pre-pro lagers recently and was wondering what your malt bill and mash schedule was like, if you wouldn't mind posting it.

When in doubt about the presence of diacetyl, you could always test it, check out this link if you don't already know how to do that.
www.winning-homebrew.com/diacetyl-test.html

Finally, I don't think a short rest in the high fifties, or low sixties ever hurts, and it can even help reach final attenuation if you haven't already.

I don't mind, but it's a mash and extract, or mini mash as some call it. Since it was my first batch I didn't want to go all grain until I had a done couple of batches. We're headed to the zoo today with most of the whole family. I'll dig out the recipe sometime tonight or tomorrow. You should be able to calculate grain to replace the extract. Now, off to the zoo.

Here is the Pre-Pro Lager mash-extract recipe for 5 gallons:

If my calculations are correct 10.5 lbs of grain be equivalent.

3 lbs. DME
2 lbs. rice syrup
1.5 lbs. Gambrinus Pilsner malt
0.5 oz. German Spalt Select - 40 minutes (11 IBU)
0.5 oz. New Zealand Saaz - 15 minutes, flavor (9 IBU)
0.5 oz. New Zealand Saaz - 5 minutes, Aroma
1/2 teaspoon Irish moss
White Labs WLP840 American Pilsner Lager yeast
Primary: 10 - 14 days, 48 - 50F
Secondary 2 weeks 48 - 50F (or reduce 4F per day & lager 6 weeks @32)

OG: 1.042 - 1.048
FG: 1.008 - 1.014
ABV.: 4.5% (average)

Back