Using you Mash Tun as a Lauter Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest

Reaction score
Westminster, Uk. But only till the end of Decembe
I have all my equipment to now make my Mashtun. Turns out, I have an uncle who buys alot of different plumming, carpentry, ect. gizmos and parts because he has houses he rents out and has to do repairs. I stopped by to see him and he gave me a bunch of parts, told me to help my self, he even gave me a valve so I don't have to use a stopper, all brand new still in plastic bag!!!! He even gave me that Toilet Water supply hose to put inside the mash tun!!!!! So between my friend giving me the cooler and my uncle giving me the parts for the valve, this Mash tun has cost me about $5 bucks in gas to go get the stuff. Can't beat that.

Anyway my question. I was told on these forus before that I could use my Mash Tun as a Lauter Tun but what I want to know if do I have to do anything to it or add any parts to use it as a Mash Tun? Do I have to install a Manifold in order for the Sparge to be successful?

Thanks in advance for yoru help.

You'll need either a manifold or a false bottom. There is a back issuse of BYO magizine that shows how to make a false bottom out of a couple of pizzia screens. Also you could make a manifold out of copper or CPVC.

Search the forum you can probably find them here.

I think most folks here do use coolers as both a mashtun and a lauter tun.

If you are batch sparging, the SS braid is probably all you need.

If you are fly sparging, you'll need to be able to drain the tun more evenly to prevent channeling through the grain bed--in that case, you'll need a false bottom or manifold.

Back