six point sweet action clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzmodelman

Reaction score
partial mashing green bucket seeks to make something that resembles six point sweet action. anyone have any success with a recipe? i can't seem to find one anywhere...

thank you greatly.

PS: if you're in Brooklyn, i'll invite you over to taste it when it's ready. :mug:

I asked the sixpoint twitter account about getting my hands on some clone recipes and they told me to come over to the brewery and they'd help sort me out. I haven't had a chance to take them up on it, yet but you should check in with them and I bet they'll hook you right up. I know they also do pilot batches at carboy scale too so they should be to relate to homebrewer volumes.

Oh and if they do hook you up I'd love to take you up on sharing both the recipe and the beer - I'm in Prospect Heights.

From Shane at sixpoint (you'll have to do your own guessing at the breakdown of quantities):

You'll want to start with a healthy quantity of 2-row Maris Otter. That is the foundation of the beer. You can't get away substituting it with low-grade cattle feed barley, which is the majority of the American 2-row on the market. If you must compromise, a nice Golden Promise or Canadian Harrington malt will do.

The specialty malts are complex. Make sure to add a little bit of Gambrinus honey malt, and a blend of 25, 45, and 60 Lovibond Crystal Malts. I also recommend rounding out the mouthfeel with some flaked barley.

For the hop schedule, use only American hops for bittering, flavor, and aroma. I'd highly recommend Centennial, Horizon, and Columbus. The aroma needs to be a litle more delicate. Good additions for this purpose would be Sterling, Amarillo, and Glacier.

And of course....the yeast. Nothing but Sixpoint house yeast, which we will provide to you if you stop by the brewery.

And he followed up stating that they shoot for 32ibu

Oh yeah, my clone from the above is resting in primary waiting for me to finish my kegging system. I hope to transfer, carb and tap in 2-3 weeks...

you went through all that, and have it sitting in primary? get it off trub, and into a 5-gal carboy.

perhaps a dry-hop addition?

you went through all that, and have it sitting in primary? get it off trub, and into a 5-gal carboy.

perhaps a dry-hop addition?

I've left some beers on the trub in primary for months and have never noted any off flavors. But now that you mention it, I do have a ton of extra hops sitting in the freezer and one open carboy, might be about time to dry hop this thing...

hm...

i was told the sooner i get it off the trub, the better. so as soon as primary is done, i rack to 2ndARY. i know some people have claimed that it's a waste of time, but i feel like i've been having better results since i started using a 2ndARY.

Latest posts

Back