Drink up! 12 Most common beer myths exploded

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny thing they started the piece with one of the greatest myths of all...

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

–Benjamin Franklin

From Maureen Ogle's Book, Ambitious Brew, the story of American Brewing.

In recent years, beer drinkers have worn t-shirts decorated with a quote attributed to Ben Franklin: "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Just one problem: Franklin didn't say that. It's a mangled version of another Franklin quote about the pleasures of wine. In a 1779 letter, he wrote that the rain that fell on vineyards and transformed vines into grapes for wine provided "a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy."

Good catch, Revvy!

Good article, fairly accurate otherwise. Not sure about the American beers using abw instead of abv though.

Good catch, Revvy!

Good article, fairly accurate otherwise. Not sure about the American beers using abw instead of abv though.

Yeah, that kinda threw me as well, it seems every micro or small brewery website I visit looking for beer info is in ABV...I wonder if it's the other way around, and the europeans use ABW, and no editor or fact checker caught it.

If beer did'nt kill my brain cells, I wonder where they went..........:confused::confused::confused:

From Wikipedia:
The consumption of alcohol does not kill brain cells but rather damages dendrites, the branched ends of nerve cells that bring messages into the cell. Alcohol dilates the channels in the cellular structure that regulate the flow of calcium, causing excess calcium to flow into the cells and stimulating increased activity. This does not kill the whole cell, but causes a loss of the end segments, leading to the loss of incoming signals and therefore a change in brain function. Most of this damage is temporary, but the recovery process changes nerve-cell structure permanently.

Of course moderation probably negates this, but just FYI.

#6 drives me freaking nuts.

I guess mass produced piss really should be served ice cold. I personally like my beer around cellar temps. I can't think of anything I'd prefer at room temp.

BTW, don't the Guinness bottles say to serve ice cold?

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The consumption of alcohol does not kill brain cells but rather damages dendrites, the branched ends of nerve cells that bring messages into the cell. Alcohol dilates the channels in the cellular structure that regulate the flow of calcium, causing excess calcium to flow into the cells and stimulating increased activity. This does not kill the whole cell, but causes a loss of the end segments, leading to the loss of incoming signals and therefore a change in brain function. Most of this damage is temporary, but the recovery process changes nerve-cell structure permanently. .
It all makes sense now. Dendritous. I thought the doc said I had gingivitous. I couldn't make sense of it, I hadn't had teeth in years from all the crack.

Good catch, Revvy!

Yeah, that kinda threw me as well, it seems every micro or small brewery website I visit looking for beer info is in ABV...I wonder if it's the other way around, and the europeans use ABW, and no editor or fact checker caught it.

Theya re referring to traditional American brewers like BMC.

Myth #4: Corona beer contains urine
This was a nasty rumor claiming that Mexican brewery workers were relieving themselves into the beer. Allegedly, the rumor was spread by a Heineken distributor and was only refuted following a lawsuit by Corona.

They got it wrong, the myth (is it really myth?) at least here in Mexico, is that Corona is Horse piss,

I don't know how horse piss tastes, but isure know i don't like Corona!

A: I am still not convinced that corona is not piss. and B: What is Homer Simpson's excuse now if #12 is Correct?

The only one I don't fully agree with is the Guinness Arguement. As a non-brewer I spent 3 months in Ireland playing soccer (football). And the Guinness was better. Maybe it's the freshness.. But now becoming a brewer myself, I think that water profiles would probably lead to the biggest difference.

You can try to take a German water a match that of Ireland, but can you really get the water profile's to match exactly?

But I 100% agree with the proper way to pour a Guinness. It makes a HUGE difference.

Here's your old thread award!

oldthreads.jpg

God bless Myth #6. Biggest pet peeve ever is the lengths places go to chill beer.

I've gotten weird looks when I ask for a non-chilled glass several times in restaurants. One Applebee's in San Diego actually gave me a glass that was probably rinsed & set in the freezer not 15-20 minutes prior, seeing as it had a visible layer of ice inside that I could break off with a finger. :mad:

Mythbusters busted that one sorry.

I don't remember the mythbusters' results, but if you go to their forum, that myth caused a big stink there. The testing method was flawed.

Other than that, any doctor can tell you:

1. Hard liquor irritates the lining of your esophagus and stomach, delaying the absorption of alcohol.

2. if you start drinking hard alcohol, you will tend to drink less overall (which is what caused the forum members' reactions, among other things).

I have myth I tried to start. Drinking soya milk before alcohol partially blocks alcohol uptake. Drink a couple of glasses of choc flavor before and at end of drinking. Guinea pigs please. I read article about it somewhere. Tried it a few times, seemed to work a bit. A question might be why bother.

I don't remember the mythbusters' results, but if you go to their forum, that myth caused a big stink there. The testing method was flawed.

Other than that, any doctor can tell you:

1. Hard liquor irritates the lining of your esophagus and stomach, delaying the absorption of alcohol.

2. if you start drinking hard alcohol, you will tend to drink less overall (which is what caused the forum members' reactions, among other things).

#2 is exactly why the myth is whack. It's quantity related, nothing to do with the difference in alcohol.

I really hate when people use that saying in #8.

#2 is exactly why the myth is whack. It's quantity related, nothing to do with the difference in alcohol.

Nope. It's about how you will feel after drinking. You don't go out thinking "ok, tonight I will drink until I get 100g of pure alcohol in my bloodstream". You go out, and drink until you're satisfied. If you drink the hard stuff first, you'll get satisfied earlier.

Nope. It's about how you will feel after drinking. You don't go out thinking "ok, tonight I will drink until I get 100g of pure alcohol in my bloodstream". You go out, and drink until you're satisfied. If you drink the hard stuff first, you'll get satisfied earlier.

You're basically proving my point. That's still strictly quantity related, not some weird effect that happens when you have beer first.

Oh, I didn't get you...:eek: Sorry.

It's twofold: It's partially due to the fact that you will drink less, and partially because hard liquor will delay alcohol absorption in the body. Either way, it's no myth, it's a medical fact.

That was interesting.

Glad to hear no brain cells will go missing after the weekend.

Maybe less VOLUME overall but I am not sure about less alcohol. At least in my experience whenever the night starts out with drinking liquor, everyone gets WAY more drunk than when it starts out with beer.

Maybe less VOLUME overall but I am not sure about less alcohol. At least in my experience whenever the night starts out with drinking liquor, everyone gets WAY more drunk than when it starts out with beer.

Personal experiences will always vary. That's why they say you "tend" to drink less, instead of you "will" drink less.

I have myth I tried to start. Drinking soya milk before alcohol partially blocks alcohol uptake. Drink a couple of glasses of choc flavor before and at end of drinking. Guinea pigs please. I read article about it somewhere. Tried it a few times, seemed to work a bit. A question might be why bother.

I've not tried but I can attest, with absolute certainty, that drinking a couple glasses of chocolate flavored soya milk will completely block uptake of any alcoholic beverages after that.

Who the bless drinks soy milk and then beer? Blech. :D

If you drink 1 gallon of milk before you have alcohol, you can drink beer or hard liquor either one and you won't get a hangover. :D

I thought there is a guinness plant in the u.s. Now. And from what I remember, going just by the abv numbers, neither the guinness extra stout, drought, it foreign extra are what they serve in Ireland.

Guiness is brewed under licence all over the world, the worst I have ever had was in Malaysia it was barely drinkable,( but I had Carlsburg Royal stout which was fine) One thing not to do when drinking Stella Actatwat is do a forward roll down an embankment like that youg guy in Wales, went into a coma and woke up a "Horses Hoof"!

Guiness is brewed under licence all over the world, the worst I have ever had was in Malaysia it was barely drinkable,( but I had Carlsburg Royal stout which was fine) One thing not to do when drinking Stella Actatwat is do a forward roll down an embankment like that youg guy in Wales, went into a coma and woke up a "Horses Hoof"!

I can attest to this. Guiness Malaysia is horrid. And the FES is more akin to an island stout.

Back