Wyeast Smack Packs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRGSPE73

Reaction score
Just a general question about Wyeast Smack Packs, which has probably been asked already, but here goes anyway:

I want to brew tomorrow night, but by the time I get home from work I wont have enough time to activate the smack pack and allow it to expand fully. Can I activate it tonight, refrigerate it overnight, and use it tomorrow night (obviously after removing it from the fridge and letting it get to room temp before pitching). I actually wanted to brew tonight, but I can't be up until midnight because I have to work in the morning.

From what I've read on here this seems perfectly fine, but being a noob I just wanted to make sure.

-Josh

Smack it tonight, let it swell overnight and use it tomorrow...don't stick it in the fridge. Or smack it in the morning if you're confident of your smack technique.

You can easily smack it a day in advance and *not* refridgerate it...I usually smack it the day before, just because you're never sure how long it's going to take to activate it.

(I usually make a starter, so it's less critical: I just cook up the starter whenever the smack pack is nice and plump.)

Back