How does this sound...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vav

Reaction score
First time i'm gunna brew without a kit. Gunna be a very bitter and floral IPA.

Here's what i got:

2 x 3.3lb Cooper's Light LME
1 lb UK Crystal malt
1 oz Galena (12.2%, bittering at start)
1 oz Wilamette (4.6%, continuous through boil)
1 oz Cascade (5.1%, finishing)
1 oz Cascade (5.1%, Dry hop)
Wyeast 1056

Sound OK to you guys? Anything i should re-arrange or change?

vav said:
First time i'm gunna brew without a kit. Gunna be a very bitter and floral IPA.

Here's what i got:

2 x 3.3lb Cooper's Light LME
1 lb UK Crystal malt
1 oz Galena (12.2%, bittering at start)
1 oz Wilamette (4.6%, continuous through boil)
1 oz Cascade (5.1%, finishing)
1 oz Cascade (5.1%, Dry hop)
Wyeast 1056

Sound OK to you guys? Anything i should re-arrange or change?

with that addition of extract you will be sitting at 1.042 which is way low for what you want, I suggest 3X the coopers which will have you at 1.072 and after that it looks damn tastey.

Here is a Run through of beersmith it will give you a good Idea.

Vav's IPA
Brew Type: Extract Date: 4/9/2008
Style: American IPA Brewer: VAV
Batch Size: 5.00 gal Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 6.41 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.60 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 60.55 %
3.30 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 30.28 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 9.17 %
1.00 oz Galena [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 37.1 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.60 %] (60 min) Hops 14.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.1 IBU

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.072 SG (1.056-1.075 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018 SG (1.010-1.018 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Color: 12.4 SRM (6.0-15.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 54.5 IBU (40.0-65.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 16.6 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 7.01 % (5.50-7.50 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 0.65 %
Actual Calories: 43 cal/pint

Where did you get that wonderful toy?

And i was thinking it might not have been enough malt for what i wanted....i want a large IPA like the Founder's Centennial.

Thanks for that rundown, i think tomorrow i'll go pickup another 3.3 of malt, and maybe another ounce of hops...

vav said:
Where did you get that wonderful toy?

And i was thinking it might not have been enough malt for what i wanted....i want a large IPA like the Founder's Centennial.

Thanks for that rundown, i think tomorrow i'll go pickup another 3.3 of malt, and maybe another ounce of hops...

www.beersmith.com
www.promash.com

Take your pick, You get that extra can of extract it will be a big beer, or you can go bigger but you'll want to add more hops. ALSO!!! with a big beer you need to make a starter!

RICLARK said:
www.beersmith.com
www.promash.com

Take your pick, You get that extra can of extract it will be a big beer, or you can go bigger but you'll want to add more hops. ALSO!!! with a big beer you need to make a starter!

Thanks man, i'll pick up the rest tomorrow and brew, and then update.

Founder's Centennial might have Centennial Hops in it?
Just a guess, I had one last night and it could have been centennial or cascade or any combination of american ipa hops.
great beer though.
1 lb of english crystal will give it a slightly more caramel/sweet flavor than Founders I'm guessing.

SRFeldman79 said:
Founder's Centennial might have Centennial Hops in it?
Just a guess, I had one last night and it could have been centennial or cascade or any combination of american ipa hops.
great beer though.
1 lb of english crystal will give it a slightly more caramel/sweet flavor than Founders I'm guessing.

No Centennial at the LHBS, sub'd Willamette.

The crystal i went with more for color and mouthfeel, i figured the Galena at 12.2% would balance it out enough. It'll be tasty regardless, i'm sure :)

Can i double up on the yeast to skip the starter?

Not sure about the yeast, but the concensus is either make a starter or probably triple up on tubed yeast, especially if you're going the higher gravity route. Also, consider using the willamette for a flavoring hop, like 12 minutes from the end of your boil. The galena will provide enough bittering, and willamette is just fantastic tasting. You may want to reduce the crystal malt to around 3/4lb, to avoid overly sweet beer, or a masking of hop flavor. Good luck, sounds like a solid IPA for the coming warm weather(just did one myself):mug: .

vav said:
Can i double up on the yeast to skip the starter?

You can double the yeast or you can wait a day it will save some $$ I dont think that the Crystal will make it too sweet nor do I think you even need it but if you want to use it it won't hurt.

Ok so i'm back, i bought an additional can of LME (John Bull 3.5 lb, Color 8)

Gunna brew it tonight, read up on the yeast and it's fine without a starter up to 11% abv, so i'll be ok.

Gunna steep grains until it hits 170, bring to boil, add two cans ME, add Galena, start 60 mins. At 30, add last can of ME, at 10 add Willamette, at flame out add 1 oz Cascade. After primary, i'm going to add the last oz of Cascade. Once that sits, i'll taste it....if it's not bitter enough, i'll add more hops and move it into the secondary.

What you read means that the yeast can handle up to 11% alcohol with an appropriate pitch. For a beer that big you will need a starter or multiple packs of yeast. Go to mrmalty.com and check out his pitching calculator. I'm not saying it wont ferment, but it will be slow to start and you will have some off flavors. It's up to you, but if you want the best beer from your ingredients I would pitch more yeast.

i wish i had done a starter for my yeast for my imperial IPA but i made that before i started reading the board.

vav said:
Ok so i'm back, i bought an additional can of LME (John Bull 3.5 lb, Color 8)

Gunna brew it tonight, read up on the yeast and it's fine without a starter up to 11% abv, so i'll be ok.

Gunna steep grains until it hits 170, bring to boil, add two cans ME, add Galena, start 60 mins. At 30, add last can of ME, at 10 add Willamette, at flame out add 1 oz Cascade. After primary, i'm going to add the last oz of Cascade. Once that sits, i'll taste it....if it's not bitter enough, i'll add more hops and move it into the secondary.

Ok have it your way but if it dont start bubbling for 72 hours, Don't be starting any "No Airlock activity" thread's.:D

RICLARK said:
Ok have it your way but if it dont start bubbling for 72 hours, Don't be starting any "No Airlock activity" thread's.:D

But that was my next thread!

:p

Ferm took off in about 10 hours, temp went down in the house due to rain so most of that first 24 took place at about 64 degrees. Put my space heater on it, it's been sitting at a comfortable 70-74 ever since. Airlock isnt all that loud, but it's been consistently bubbling every second or so all day today. Sniffed the airlock, punch-in-the-face hops :)

Now here's a question....i have 2 ounces of Cascades i'm going to dry hop it with. What would you do? I was thinking of waiting for the Krausen to settle out and then toss an ounce in the primary, let it sit for a week, then rack it over to the carboy on top of the last ounce, let it sit for another week, and then bottle.

Thoughts?

vav said:
Ferm took off in about 10 hours, temp went down in the house due to rain so most of that first 24 took place at about 64 degrees. Put my space heater on it, it's been sitting at a comfortable 70-74 ever since. Airlock isnt all that loud, but it's been consistently bubbling every second or so all day today. Sniffed the airlock, punch-in-the-face hops :)

Now here's a question....i have 2 ounces of Cascades i'm going to dry hop it with. What would you do? I was thinking of waiting for the Krausen to settle out and then toss an ounce in the primary, let it sit for a week, then rack it over to the carboy on top of the last ounce, let it sit for another week, and then bottle.

Thoughts?

I add my dry hopping to the secondary for 10-17 days or longer it just depends on how big the aroma is your looking for.

Cool man, thanks for all your help on this brew too. Grabbed Brewsmith also, looking forward to hitting the FG in the next day or so.

Ok, checked the gravity, right on at 1.017, so i dumped an ounce of Cascade into the primary.

However...dunno if it was caused by me fighting with the airlock and pushing down on the lid to get it out, but there was at least an inch of small bubble foam on the top, and yeasties clinging to the sides about an inch above the top of the foam. I assume that's just the krausen settling out slowly?

vav said:
Ok, checked the gravity, right on at 1.017, so i dumped an ounce of Cascade into the primary.

However...dunno if it was caused by me fighting with the airlock and pushing down on the lid to get it out, but there was at least an inch of small bubble foam on the top, and yeasties clinging to the sides about an inch above the top of the foam. I assume that's just the krausen settling out slowly?

ya man its fine. You will always have stuff stuck to the sides its normal.Glad you hit your Target F.G. :mug:

Back