professional vs homebrew bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom_gamer

Reaction score
How is it that my bottles have a think layer on the bottom of the bottle but professional brewers hardly have anything?

I assume that a pro conditioned bottle of beer means that it wasn't forced carbed but done the homebrew way with priming sugar and yeast.

So what do they do differently and can it be done at home?

Chilling your beer down for 24-48 hours prior to bottling will let a lot settle out. Not everything settles out so there is still some yeast in suspension (though many pro breweries will dose the beer with fresh yeast or krausen prior to bottling to ensure enough yeast - this also allows it to carbonate in a shorter period of time). If you can crash cool your beer (getting it right down to freezing is good - 32F/0C isn't going to freeze your beer) prior to bottling it help keep a lot of that haze/trub/dead yeast from ever getting in the bottles.

That was a lot more long winded and rambling than I intend it to be.

Depends on your definition of "conditioning." Many brewers just let their beers sit in the bottles over given periods of time, and call this "conditioning."

Just because the propaganda on the bottle says bottle conditioned, it doesn't mean it was naturally bottle carbonated. You can let any beer sit in a bright tank to clear up a little more, and/or run it through a micron filter to remove most of the suspended yeast.

Such beers are usually force carb'd and then just allowed to sit and mature in the bottle.

The king of this, I think, is Sierra Nevada. I have heard their bottle conditioned beers are filtered, partially carbonated, then half primed with new yeast.

I have been able to reduce the schmutz level in my bottles with cold crashing, and high flocculating yeast. I think you’ll find that half of it was there before you bottled, it just takes a while to settle out.

I never really cold crash my beers. Mostly because I dont have the means...yet.

By bottle condition I do mean naturally carbed in the bottle beer. I'm not too worried about the other ones.

The main reason I bring this up is because it seems I waste too much homebrew, but not store bought.

I just see the commercial beers with this super thin layer on the bottom of the bottle and wish I could replicate that.

Back