Cheap Bulk Grain in Georgia...Does it exist??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawwas72

Reaction score
Where can I find the cheapest 55lb sack of 2 row in north Ga?? I wanting to buy bulk but shipping prices are ridiculous. I know I can buy it @ "Brewmasters Warehouse" and "Just brew It" but I'm paying their mark-up. If that's what I have to do, I will but I'm such a cheap ass I thought I'd throw it out there and see what else there was, if anything. Thanks.

I'd like to hear of a place as well. I'm in south georgia but go to the atlanta area frequently. I was gonna check Brewmasters prices this trip up.
I'm paying like ~$50-65 a sack right now (Rahr-weyermann/crisp)

Or stop being so cheap, pay a few bucks for mark up and support your local economy and local home brew store, then maybe you'll help keep someone in business...

My LHBS can suck it. Pitiful stock, sells out of date dry yeast and old precrushed grain, his kits are over priced and his recipes are poor at best. Also he sells hops at $4 an oz. I've tried to get him to work on it, but to no avail. The next closest LHBS is an hour away and I don't like the way he stores his products either (I am picky). Stop being presumptuous and support savvy brewers.
The micro thing is a good idea, I suppose I could shoot some emails.

yeah the last time I went to the closest home brew store to me ( 45 min drive ) he charged me $13 for a hydrometer never again. he charges nearly $40 for brewers best kits and he wonders why I go to Atlanta or order off the net.

My LHBS can suck it. Pitiful stock, sells out of date dry yeast and old precrushed grain, his kits are over priced and his recipes are poor at best. Also he sells hops at $4 an oz. I've tried to get him to work on it, but to no avail. The next closest LHBS is an hour away and I don't like the way he stores his products either (I am picky). Stop being presumptuous and support savvy brewers.
The micro thing is a good idea, I suppose I could shoot some emails.

True, I guess I'm for the most part blessed with a good LHBS.

passedpawn said:
Resourceful brewers will find a better way. Look to your local microbrewerys.

I love this idea and I'll ask anybody anything but how would you even approach that. I would think you'd have to get in on a pallett to even make it worth their wild and I just don't know that many other brewers or need that much grain.

True, I'm unsure how much 'spare' grain a brewery carries as well. I feel like beyond pilot supplies most of the useful inventory is going into beer that has been planned for. Getting them to order spare pallets from country malt group or somesuch (since they have an account presumably)seems like a valid option.
Perhaps we could find a brewery to help us with a group buy? I'd throw in on sacks of 2row/munich/MO/Vienna/pils/wheat if the price is right.

I worked for a Budweiser distributor for about 11 years and I know a few of their guys are planning on opening a craft brewery in Athens. I'm not real sure how close they are to doing this but you may wanna give them a shout if you are around the Athens area. you can look them up on face book at southern brewing company or gratis home brewing. they may be able to point you in a direction or even help you out.

Contact a local home brew club to see if they do a bulk order. My club buys a pallet twice a year and sometimes we have enough space for non members. Bulk grain orders are worth the effort since you get a 55lb bag of Canadian 2 row for half of retail prices (including shipping).

I love this idea and I'll ask anybody anything but how would you even approach that. I would think you'd have to get in on a pallett to even make it worth their wild and I just don't know that many other brewers or need that much grain.

The brewmaster at my local brewpub orders a few extra bags for me. I've got sacks of Weyermann Bohemian pils in my garage right now. He'll get anything I ask for. I think it's a matter of establishing a rapport with the right person and gaining their trust. You and he/she have something in common; I'll bet you could guess. Try bringing some homebrew.

This was a recent bulk grain buy of 2,420 lbs of grain. It feels like Christmas morning every time :D

bulk_grain.jpg

I recently purchased a bag of two row from barley and vine in stockbridge for 50 bucks. I know I could get it cheaper with a group buy but I don't currently own a grinder and they allow me to keep it at the store so I just call em up when I need some and they weigh and grind.

Do you have a local homebrewing club? We have a very active community in my city, and they frequently do "Bulk Buys" of various ingredients and equipment direct from the manufacturers, or wholesalers. Just last weekend, they received over $14,000 worth of grains and had a big party Friday night where they split up everybody's order. I got 250 pounds of grains for around $180, but that included a lot of specialty grain. As an example, I got a 55 lb bag of 2 row for around $25 CDN.

Find your local grain wholesaler (ask a microbrewery), contact them, and see how big of an order you'd have to place before they'd deal with you. Then gather up some other homebrewers and put in a bulk order.

Back