Ooppps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mux

Reaction score
Dry fire!

image-1394446732.jpg

You had time to take a picture?? Yikes :drunk: Seriously, did the element survive?

Dunerunner said:
It happened,......... how? :D

Started to sparge and my daughter wanted me watch the fire works- I judged my time wrong came back to find a that. Boil is underway, element is ok.

PLOVE said:
You had time to take a picture?? Yikes :drunk: Seriously, did the element survive?

It was my duty to take a picture and pass it along!

Sorry to break it to you but the element may not be ok. I have done this on two occasions. Both were very brief, less than 5 minutes. Both times the elements were the ULWD incoloy elements that "resist dry firing". One time the elements were ok, the other time not. Unfortunately, I did not figure it out until the next brewday when I had 40 gallons of wort in the BK and only one of my two BK elements turned on. The element worked fine to heat my strike water but failed when I went to start my boil.

stevehaun said:
Sorry to break it to you but the element may not be ok. I have done this on two occasions. Both were very brief, less than 5 minutes. Both times the elements were the ULWD incoloy elements that "resist dry firing". One time the elements were ok, the other time not. Unfortunately, I did not figure it out until the next brewday when I had 40 gallons of wort in the BK and only one of my two BK elements turned on. The element worked fine to heat my strike water but failed when I went to start my boil.

I planned on replacing it! But thanks for the heads up.

Back