Used chocolate stout slurry for a non-chocolate stout beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locus415

Reaction score
I did a total bone head move and pitched a pint of WLP004 slurry from a chocolate stout into a pale-ish batch. The hyrdo sample looked like sewer water. Not sure there is a SRM to capture this one. So I am thinking about steeping some crystal 80 or black patent in a half gallon of water for 45 mins. and then add it to the already going fermentation.

Original recipe was a German style pilz grain bill with a 1.047 OG and light on the hops but fermented with ale yeast. I know, regardless I will probably end up with a chocolate hint but that is fine as long as the color is there to match. Hard to drink even something that tastes good if it looks like poo water.

I also considered using some gelatin to try to clear it up a bit but doubt that will do much.

Thankfully I have plenty of other batches so this can be a dumper or a solo drinker (not shared outside of my garage) if it goes south.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Bah... all beer looks like either piss or poo water lol.

Remember the story behind Lagunitas' Brown Shugga? If it's true, they basically thought they had already ruined a batch so might as well try SOMETHING to make it drinkable... turned out to be a best seller.

Who knows what you'll end up with but it may end up being amazing.

Just leave it. It should clear on it's own and it will just be slightly darker than it should have been. If it still looks like poo water, then just close your eyes when you drink it.

Thanks for the input. I am just going to leave it and see what happens during the transfer to secondary. Perhaps instead of Moose Drool, I could name it Runny Bear Poo Ale.

If you were going to try to add a grain tea rather than just steeping you should boil to get stile wort (15 minutes should do) because grain is full of bacteria

So I transfered from the primary today and much to my surprise, I lifted off the ale pail lid and saw 5 gallons of nice light amberish ale. A bit cloudy but nothing out of the usual. Looks like the fermentation scrubbed out the color from the bit of chocolate darkness. Thanks to all and I am glad I did nothing. A true testament to RDWHAHB.

I did this with a cream ale without realizing how much color it would impart initially. I was freaking out that I had ruined the color for the style. After it fermented and cold crashed it was fine.

Back