Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erg

Reaction score
I am brewing AHS holiday brew that has been in the primary for 3 weeks still seems to have a large krausen on top. I'm thinking thats a little long to be fermenting. My air lock still bubbles about every 10 - 15 seconds. 3 days ago I racked it into a secondary to get it off the yeast cake. Then the next night after racking, it looks like there is another yeast cake at the bottom and the top has lots of bubbles. ( as seen in the photo ). The gravity is correct and doesn’t smell like Indian food in a used diaper. Does this look/sound normal? Should I bottle it soon? Thanks for your reply.

1.jpg

That looks like fermentation to me, and I have had a beer go that long. The only way to be sure that fermentation has stopped is to take sequential measurements of the gravity over a period of 2-4 days. If the desired fg has been reached, and you want to stop further fermentation, dropping the temperature would accomplish that.

The infections that I have had, have looked more white and powdery in a way.

I love this picture...it is just grose :)

Infection 7.6.11.jpg

Would it " referment" in the secondary? Make a new yeast cake and everything? Plus the fg is correct.

Whatever is going on, if it still seems active, don't bottle. You don't want bottle bombs. Yeast work in mysterious ways and your beer may need more time to complete. Don't risk a dangerous situation.

Brent

Back