P/U truck tire recommedations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KVP

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 long bed extended cab V-10 pickup.
In 14 years I've driven in the snow once. I do however ocassionally get into sand or forest service roads.
Original tires are shot at 70k miles so I've been looking at tirerack dot com and reading reviews.
It seems no matter what I look at nothing gets rave reviews only.
If you have any experience with tires of this type let me have you opinion please.
It looks like I'm going to have to spend between $650 and $850 and at an average of 5000 miles per year I'll have then a long time.
Currently on the truck are Goodyear M+S Wrangler RTS LT245/75R16 load range E.

https://treadwright.com/

These guys sell retreaded truck tires. They retread them at their factory. There are a bunch of tread patterns and sizes. The tread patterns are copies of name brand patterns. The ones on my 2000 Tacoma for example are the "Warden A/T" which are copies of the BF Goodrich pattern....only at less than half the price.

I've purchased 3 sets of tires from these guys for my trucks (Toyota Tacoma and Tundra). I've also purchased 2 sets for our work truck (F-350 Super Duty). We work that Ford hard...plowing in the winter and everything else in between. I can't say enough about the quality of the tires or the customer service.

Tires sold to the auto companies generally are built to a lower standard than the tires (pick a tire company) sells on the aftermarket. There is much more cost pressure on OEM tires and the auto companies are not focused on longevity of the tire, just specific parameters (fuel economy, ride, load etc.) The changes are generally in the compounding of the tire, so they will look the same, but can be very different tires.

FWIW I have been to both Goodyear and Bridgestone Tire Schools and been on numerous tire factory tours.

Also I buy Michelin tires for my vehicles

go here - Michelin

click the "find a tire" on the right side -

look up your vehicle, set your preferences, they've got some beefy looking stuff: this is the LTX M/S2 truck tire
tire-ltx-m-s2-hero.png

This is similar to asking what the best beer is. You'll get answers all over.

That said, here's my opinion. I bought a used truck last year and it had Bridgestone Duelers on it. First time I've ever owned this brand and I am extremely satisfied. Great traction in wet, dirt and snow. Rarely need to kick in 4wd. Quiet ride, nice feel in corners. In fact, I just bought a set for my wife's suv that are getting installed Tuesday.

Oh, and they are very highly rated on tirerack, fwiw.

I have BF Goodrich All terrain tires on my chevy 4x4 and love them! If you live near lots of mud and snow, get the mudders.

My choice (after lots of reviews) were the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. That was on a 2003 Tundra. They handled great in the rain - as in noticeable difference over OEM. They handled just fine in other conditions, but I never really had a problem in other conditions (snow, light mud, etc).

Man, I miss my truck.....

+1 on the Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo. They wear faster than factory Mich. but the wet traction is notably better. They also don't have that typical A/T whine on the highway like my previous BFG A/Ts did.

Give Avon a look - surprisingly good value.
Been unhappy with the price/longevity of goodyear and michelin too many times.

While I don't have a full sized truck (just a lowly Ranger 4x4) I have had really good results with Toyo tires (using the Open Country model now)... First set got me just over 60k miles (guaranteed for that long) with my lead foot. I left a good amount of tread at stop signs while I had them, and didn't baby them one bit. I replaced them this summer with the same tire. This time, it's guaranteed for 65k miles.

I would look to see if there's a Toyo tire that fits your used model, and budget range. I blew about $800 on the four of mine. BUT, that included a 4 wheel alignment, and such. I'm getting better gas mileage since doing the alignment... The store I went to isn't in your area (Town Fair Tire) so you'll need to source them out on your own... I think Tire Rack has them. Get your preferred grease monkey to install them for you. :eek: :D :drunk:

Got my Falken Rocky Mountains from Discount Tires for my JK and I love them. I was researching everything I could, and leaning towards BFGs but was very intrigued by the Falkens because of the price difference. I asked my mother's boyfriend who has been in business for 30 years selling tires and building trucks and he said hands down he'd put Falkens on any car or truck. That sealed my decision.

Bobby_M said:
+1 on the Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo. They wear faster than factory Mich. but the wet traction is notably better. They also don't have that typical A/T whine on the highway like my previous BFG A/Ts did.

+1 on the Revos. Get a little loud over time but do well in all conditions. Good mileage as well.

Back