A Game of Thrones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried to be patient. If I weren't in the middle of reading the Wheel of Time books, I'd have snatched up the Thrones books and started reading. I just don't want to ruin the show by reading the books!

you won't ruin it.. i watched the first season, then read 3 books before the 2nd season started.. i finished the 4th book and am waiting until the 5th comes out in paperback (march) .. i very much like knowing what is going to happen in the show because i already got some great cliffhangers throughout the books.. though if the next book is split among two seasons (which i've heard rumors about) i won't be too happy since it'll take even longer to get to the 4th book.. the 3rd book though is my fav so far

Third book is by far the best and yes I do believe they are splitting it up into two seasons. There is really just two much going on in to do justice to it in once season. This is likely going to be the end of following the books by season because after they split this one up into two seasons I'm willing to bet they combine books four and five because there is no way they will divide up story lines into multiple parts like Martin felt he needed to do.

Nice link, thanks.

I was really hoping this post was going to be a teaser/update about the books. I really don't see how GRRM can possibly wrap up the numerous character's journeys in only two books.

The rumors I've read were that the last two books would weigh in at around 1500 pages each, but I agree... there still seems to be way too much to get through. I also got my hands on the new map book over the holidays, and there are huge sections across the narrow sea with named towns/cities that have not been introduced as of yet. Granted, these could have been put in just to make the map look complete, or could be a setup for a new book or series, but it does make you wonder.

All I know is that I finished book 5 before the holidays and now I'm going through withdrawl... I need a fix... March can't come soon enough.

I finished book 5 before the holidays and now I'm going through withdrawl... I need a fix... March can't come soon enough.

I know that feeling! I finished a few months ago and really struggled right off the bat. Especially the way book five ended. Really not sure where he is taking this but am ready to find out. Come on Martin! How hard can it be to churn out something like a couple hundred pages a day? I'm ready.

However there are some side stories I haven't read that sound interesting. Also just found this excerpt from the new book

I've given up on the Wheel of Time books for now. I was up to the 6th or 7th book but the plot just dragged. I can't tell you how many times Egwene, Elayne, or Nynaeve adjust their shawls or glare at the stupid men folk or how Mat, Rand, Perrin can't seem to understand women (although they each seem to think the others do just fine). Anyway, I put that series down and picked up Game of Thrones. Much better plot quality and characters. I've heard Brandon Sanderson is picking up the Wheel of Time series so maybe I'll eventually slog my way through it.

I know its heresy, but I could only get halfway through the first book of WoT.

That might not be a bad thing. I personally haven't read any of them but I also have yet to meet anyone who has been happy with the way it progressed. Maybe you just saved yourself a lot of time?

I know its heresy, but I could only get halfway through the first book of WoT.

Heresay!

I thought the first few books were very good, but I agree with Darwin18. His writing got so boring after a first few. I cannot believe how many times I've said to myself, "I don't give a sht what color trim was on her friggin dress!!"

I'm sticking with it though. This is my personal quest. I have heard the books get better again after a while.

I do plan on picking up the Game of Thrones books right after though. Probably in about 2 years.

Just started my rewatch of GoT in anticipation of season three. Man I forgot how evil the Lannister's come out as right off the bat.

I picked up the Mistborn trilogy on my Kindle by Brandon Sanderson. Very good so far - he's the replacement author for the Wheel of Time series and I'm impressed with his writings so far.

I picked up the Mistborn trilogy on my Kindle by Brandon Sanderson. Very good so far - he's the replacement author for the Wheel of Time series and I'm impressed with his writings so far.

As I understand it he took the style closer to where the books where near the start. That's a good thing.

SO when do the GoT episodes get back on the air?

Winter is Coming... And it's taking it's damn time!

Ha! yeah right!

Winter...............

is......................

coming...............

Seriously (and I don't think this counts as a spoiler) but it isn't until the very, very end of book five that winter arrives. We got a ways to go on the TV show. Of course, that doesn't mean that a lot of cool s*** isn't going to happen before the arrival of winter. :mug:

I've given up on the Wheel of Time books for now. I was up to the 6th or 7th book but the plot just dragged.

The books are getting better now. From about the 7th through about the 10th the story didn't progress and all we got was new character after character until the series was a complete mess.

inhousebrew said:
Ha! yeah right!

Winter...............

is......................

coming...............

Seriously (and I don't think this counts as a spoiler) but it isn't until the very, very end of book five that winter arrives. We got a ways to go on the TV show. Of course, that doesn't mean that a lot of cool s*** isn't going to happen before the arrival of winter. :mug:

I feel like after season four theyll condense the series. I havent finished the books and sure as hell dont want to wait until book 6 for more goddamn wights

I feel like after season four theyll condense the series. I havent finished the books and sure as hell dont want to wait until book 6 for more goddamn wights

Imo they can do books 4 and 5 in one season each, especially 5, so much fluff.

Imo they can do books 4 and 5 in one season each, especially 5, so much fluff.

I think they could do seasons four and five in one season a piece. But, I think they will have to combine the two books into two seasons. Not one season for half the characters and the other season for the rest like Martin did.

Of course that all depends on whether or not there is more material produced on Martin's end and what the overall plan is because we still have two books yet to be published so if the show is still very successful they could split these up to by time for Martin to publish. And the way he writes maybe books four and five will take up ten seasons...

I haven't been this into a show since Band of Brothers, and The Pacific. Not into Sci-Fi type weirdness but this show has me captivated.
Beer in hand and ready for the "Game" to begin.

Hi, I'm a reporter on a magazine in the UK. I'm writing a story about how mead is becoming more popular in the UK, thanks in part to Game of Thrones. I wondered if there were any UK contributors to this forum who were both mead and Game of Thrones fans and would be happy to have a quick chat with me?

If so you can contact me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Rick

Back