domed mesh splatter screen a good false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowdy

Reaction score
local store has stainless 12" mesh domed splatter screens for cheap, are these an effective false bottom, does anybody use them? i have seen some with the punched holes but havent heard much about the screen ones.. will be using in a 48qt igloo ice cube mash tun.

I think that would depend on how sturdy it is or if you can reinforce the mesh. I have one of the domed stainless steel false bottoms with the 3/32 holes in it and mash in a 10 gallon round cooler. I know when I am stirring up my mash I scrape my spoon over the false bottom to make sure I don't have any dough balls lurking around the bottom edges of the false bottom in the mash tun. It also has to support the weight of the grain bed. While you have a several gallons of water in the mash this isn't too big of a deal, but once you start getting near the end of the sparge and you have a 10-20 lbs of waterlogged grain pressing down it needs to be pretty sturdy.

I know this is an old post, but I just thought of using a domed splatter screen too. Another idea I had was to somehow convert a metal grill pan like this http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=12268084 for use with a 5 gallon turkey fryer. The diamerter of the pan bottom is perfect, but the sides would need to be cut and bent down somehow so it will drop in. An opening would have to be cut in the side (probably where the handle connects) to allow for the bulkhead fitting on the valve. Probably not a efficient as a domed design. I'm planing on buying one to see how I can modify it to work. Worth the $7 to give it a shot.

Ok yes, all of these options will work if you tinker well....however a stainless braid is 5-10 bucks and has been proven to work well...just sayin, cheers.

Latest posts

Back