Pump question !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My chugger pumps are leaching plastic taste into the brewing water. Not sure what is going on. I have taken the heads apart and cleaned them, but problem still exists. I sent an email a few days ago to the paypal contact, no response. I emailed [email protected] last night, but not sure that is the correct contact.

So, currently I am out $158, because I can't use them.

My chugger pumps are leaching plastic taste into the brewing water. Not sure what is going on. I have taken the heads apart and cleaned them, but problem still exists. I sent an email a few days ago to the paypal contact, no response. I emailed [email protected] last night, but not sure that is the correct contact.

So, currently I am out $158, because I can't use them.

Did you add anything else with the addition of the pump? QD's or Camlocks perhaps? The OEM seals on the Camlocks can leach a plastic taste in to your beer. Maybe tubing?

Added camlocks. The camlocks have the dark orange o-rings, they were bought at the Austin Homebrew store. Tubing used is silicon tubing.

I did a test last night, heated up water (Maybe 170F) and poured it onto the plastic head (Nothing else involved), the same smell appears. Its plastic smell, the water tastes just like the smell. Just one table spoon of the water gives me a headache.

Added camlocks. The camlocks have the dark orange o-rings, they were bought at the Austin Homebrew store. Tubing used is silicon tubing.

I did a test last night, heated up water (Maybe 170F) and poured it onto the plastic head (Nothing else involved), the same smell appears. Its plastic smell, the water tastes just like the smell. Just one table spoon of the water gives me a headache.

Poured it onto the head? Did you run it through the head and get teh taste as well? :drunk:

Just got a response from them. They are going to send me the stainless steel heads. Great customer service.

Yes, the head was opened. The smell comes from inside the head where the impeller spins.

Does it smell like paint?

I haven't used my chugger yet, but it gives off a powerful paint smell. I thought it was from the hideous green paint the motor is painted with.

:confused:

Not sure how to explain it. For me it smells more like tar, oil, like a boat engine. The smell comes from inside the head.

I no that being made in GREAT CO. OF CHINA MAKE SURE ON ALL SS. That you scrub these w/ dawn soap because of the heavy machine oil used in thread cutting procedure Dawn will prob break alot oil residue off these parts then clean according to your standards oxy clean 1 step pbw my 2 cents ! Depending on grade of SS might try boiling this piece w/ dawn sure this item is cast SS and these pores ?(small craters formed by cast)Will retain oil so I no here (USA)or where I work we use cutting fluid made w/water and oil like product(looks milky like 1%) and recirculates over part being cut . Or if just maching 1 small part use tap magic wich is cheating I guess .Just A thought !

I also ordered off Ebay the other day, didnt see the fact that I could of got the SS head for mentioning Mike, it arrived today with the non SS head, how do you go around getting the SS head, I can provide the ebay # if needed
Cheers
Paul;)

Based on this thread and a few others here, I purchased one of these pumps off ebay on 11/8. Got the tracking # on the 9th.

Received it today. Quickly wired it up(ok, I just twisted some wires and wrapped them in electrical tape, I'm like a 5 year old on Christmas morning, just gotta play with toys!)

WORKS GREAT! No more heavy lifting and pouring for me.:ban: I may order another one someday when I have my single tier closer to being completed.

Only regrets are I didn't order the stainless head. In retrospect it would have been worth it.

Ordered one of the plastic head ones tonight off Ebay. I went to the area asking for a final price from the seller and in the comment section I mentioned Mike and asked for the SS version. Waiting to see what happens next.:confused:

Allright I did it!! I ordered two for my single tier set up. I mentioned Mike too..so hopefully they will come with the SS heads.

Ordered one of the plastic head ones tonight off Ebay. I went to the area asking for a final price from the seller and in the comment section I mentioned Mike and asked for the SS version. Waiting to see what happens next.:confused:

Did the same thing when I ordered one last week. Mike shipped it the same day. It arrived with the SS head as promised. It is a great little pump at a great price.

Hey Mike,
Just ordered two pumps. Hope to be receiving the ones with the stainless heads. What a deal!

Better hurry if you want one at the $79.99 price. According to the auction, after I ordered, there were only two left at that price.

Hey Mike,
Just ordered two pumps. Hope to be receiving the ones with the stainless heads. What a deal!

Better hurry if you want one at the $79.99 price. According to the auction, after I ordered, there were only two left at that price.

I think I paid $40 or $50 just for the head awhile back. Good deal!

Up to 99.99 with free shipping and SS head now. Eh, what the heck. The family won't buy me expensive brewing things for Christmas, so Happy Wednesday to me.

I'm super stoked about getting these pumps! It's my first major step to a pain-free brew day. Nuts on not getting in on that deal though. I figured that since I missed out on the free Chugger pump deal a couple weeks ago, I had to jump on this one.

Chugger is great! I ordered this morning and already have my tracking number.

Thank you Mike. I received the pump today. You are a man of your word. Great shipping time, great experience. When I order my next pump I will order it from Chuggerpumps.

Latest posts

Back