Do I have highly modified malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bane

Reaction score
So I was reading the "Complete Joy of Home Brewing," where they state to only use a single mash infusion if you have high modified malt. So... How do I know if the malt I am using is highly modified or not?

Thanks,

Nothing bad about "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing," but it was written several years ago when there were many less modified malts available. Now, unless a malt is specifically labeled as being less modified, assume that it is highly modified, especially the malts that homebrew shops sell. For the most part, unless you are doing something very specific, a single-infusion mash will produce a good wort.

Thanks for the help guys. Nice to get an answer since the book never defines what Highly Modified is or how to tell if the malt your using is.

In general modification refers to the length of the acrospire. You can check this on a half dozen kernels if you want. Fully modified malt has an acrospire about the length of the kernel, over-modified malt (generally english malt) has an acrospire longer than the length of the kernel. Some more specific measures of protein or starch modification are available on the malt analysis sheet and can guide mashing decisions.

Only english malts are designed for single infusion mashing, most other malts will work with single infusion mashing.

Back