i thought all IPA's were disgusting until...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmypop13

Reaction score
I always thought ipa's were disgusting because of that horrible burning aftertaste somewhat like a grapefruit but stronger and I'd never had a "light" one. Then again I've only tried Abita ipa, my friends homebrew ipa, and one otheron tap that I can't remember its name. BUT yesterday I bought a 6 pack of Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA and it was so good. It totally changed my mind on IPAs. Its light and refreshing and doesn't have that burning aftertaste. I just wish it was more carbonated. So what are some other good IPAs I might like that are similar to this?

+1 The Ranger IPA is quite delicious. Had it the first time the other night.

I have heard of inconsinactcy between batches. I have a fellow IPA lover that said he got a amazing 6-pack but then got a ehhh 6-pack from a different store. I think I got the ehhh 6-pack, it's good, but I think I could make it taste better with 3 pounds/barrel of chinook/cascade/simcoe

I have heard of inconsistency between batches.

I've been having that problem with Stone IPA. When I get a good bottle of it, it is absolutely delicious!!! But about 1 out of every 2 bombers that I get has an earthy taste without much of the fruit flavors from the hops.

I haven't had any problems with stone but I haven't gotten it in a while. My top three are Victory Hop Devil, Stone IPA, and DFH 60 and 90. Ok, I guess that is top 4.

Now that you have started down the path to the dark side....forever will it dominate your destiny.............

Prepare to be assimilated.

I used to think SNPA was too bitter, now I need a stone ruination to fulfill the craving.

Now that you have started down the path to the dark side....forever will it dominate your destiny.............

Prepare to be assimilated.

I used to think SNPA was too bitter, now I need a stone ruination to fulfill the craving.

I think I am the same way. I am not sure I would taste hops in SNPA anymore.

If you like the DFH IPA and you don't care for the typical American IPA, then you should consider brewing this style with English strains. That beer uses ringwood ale yeast and that is what set the beer apart from the rest, at least IMO, not the famed continuous hopping. Try Shipyard's fuggles IPA or Seadog's IPA for similar malty profile.

Had my first 6 pack of 60 minute the other day. Not so impressed, its not bad, but its not great either.

Maybe Bells has just spoiled me.

ruination ipa is so good. life begins at 100 ibus.

I used to think Ruination was great, but the last 3-4 times I have had it, it has been super grassy. In the bottle and on tap. I'm starting to think that stone is cutting corners for profit, but I hope I'm wrong.

I went out last week and bought three IPAs.
Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard. I love this stuff. Ill be buying it again for sure though I'm not sure I tasted oak.
Next is Stone Ruination IPA. I wasn't a fan. It was too bitter for me! It felt like it had a grapefruit aftertaste.
And finally, Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. This beer smells amazing, just like the 60 minute. It was really sweet and pretty thick, and very similar to the Gnarly Wine I bought too. How do they make it so sweet? Do they add nonfermentable sugar or a low attenuating yeast or somthing like that?

...me, too but I tried the Summit IPA and liked it. Went to my local Hy-Vee and asked my beer god rep 'bout the DFH 60, 90, 120 minute IPA and he said to try the Fort Collins Brewery "Rocky Mountain IPA". He said that this one is more like a English IPA. I did and must say I liked it but I like the Summit a little better. Both are good ones to try if you think you would like to delve into this IPA experience.....:mug:

I just got DFH Aprihop. Wow. Its a perfect beer. I cant think of any flaws. And i love the smell the amarillo hops give it. But i also grabbed their raisin beer. I forget the name. I cant drink it at all.

I used to love the balanced, slightly-bitter slightly-sweet slightly-aromatic IPAs.

Now, if the gravity and sweetness even come close to the hoppiness, I can't stand it.

The balanced IPAs are a gateway drug, my friend. Soon, you will be one of us.

Latest posts

Back