Newb Question on Taking Hydrometer Readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixpack

Reaction score
I have my first ever batch in the secondary now - an amber ale. I used a plastic bucket for the primary and 5 gal glass carboy for secondary. So it was easy for me to take the hydrometer readings by just sanitizing and dropping it in the bucket.

But I would like to know the methods you guys use to take readings when you use a glass carboy for the primary. I imagine you have to transfer a sample of the wort to a separate container to place the hydrometer in to take the reading. What are you using for a container to do this in? How do you transfer the sample to the sample container and when? Do you rack completely to the primary then syphon some out for the reading?

I know this is a simple question that I should be able to figure out but most people just say "take a OG reading" with no details on how. I'm a stickler for details!! Take my hand and show me the way.

I always find that my graduated cylinder works swimmingly

graduate.jpg

Brewtopia - That "thief" appears to be the same thing as part of my auto-siphon setup (I can't see THAT closely b/c I can't enlarge the pic)...

Is this true or am I seeing incorrectly? If so, I never knew I had such a handy tool around for taking samples...

Brewtopia - That "thief" appears to be the same thing as part of my auto-siphon setup (I can't see THAT closely b/c I can't enlarge the pic)...

Is this true or am I seeing incorrectly? If so, I never knew I had such a handy tool around for taking samples...

They do look very similar. I don't have an auto siphon (I need to pick one up) It looks as though the end may be different. The auto siphon has a small floating tip that drops down and seals the bottom when it's full of liquid. To empty you simply touch the tip to the side of a glass and it breaks the seal allowing the liquid to flow out the bottom.

i just siphon some beer outta the secondary with a racking cane/hose into the sample jar, no need for more equipment imho, when the siphon works.

Back