Oxycleaned my bottling bucket and rinsed, buuuuuut...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JefeTheVol

Reaction score
I let my one of my fermenting buckets overnight with oxyclean to remove some of the slightly yellowish tint off the inside of the plastic. Upon throughly rinsing with hot, hot water I could still smell a faint odor of cleanliness/oxiclean in the bucket. I then proceeded to star-san the bucket and used it as a bottling bucket.

I tasted the beer out of the bottling bucket and, along with tasting a bit green, I thought I tasted a little astringency from the oxiclean. Ya think its the oxyclean, green beer, or am I just a bad brewer?

Heres the recipe, its a modified Coopers IPA SWMBO's bro gave me.
Coopers IPA (modified)
Brew Type: Extract Date: 1/21/2010
Style: American IPA Brewer: Jeff Lowder
Batch Size: 5.00 gal Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 2.5 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating (50 possible points):

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.10 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 15.6 %
3.75 lb Dark Liquid Extract (17.5 SRM) Extract 53.2 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 19.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (30 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (2 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
2.20 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 31.2 %

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.057 SG (1.056-1.075 SG)
Measured Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015 SG (1.010-1.018 SG)
Measured Final Gravity: 1.008 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 SRM (6.0-15.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 35.2 IBU (40.0-65.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 2.2 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.5 % (5.5-7.5 %)
Actual Alcohol by Volume: 5.5 %
Actual Calories: 219 cal/pint

Ill give the IPA a few weeks to mellow out and Ill report back with the results.
Any thoughts?
-Jefe-

I let my one of my fermenting buckets overnight with oxyclean to remove some of the slightly yellowish tint off the inside of the plastic. Upon throughly rinsing with hot, hot water I could still smell a faint odor of cleanliness/oxiclean in the bucket. I then proceeded to star-san the bucket and used it as a bottling bucket.

I tasted the beer out of the bottling bucket and, along with tasting a bit green, I thought I tasted a little astringency from the oxiclean. Ya think its the oxyclean, green beer, or am I just a bad brewer?

Ill give the IPA a few weeks to mellow out and Ill report back with the results.
Any thoughts?
-Jefe-

I am going to guess green of the bat, just b/c I have never had an issue with Oxiclean after rinsing well... buuuut... what kind of concentration did you use to soak the bucket?

Either way I am betting it will be drinkable.

I just recently discovered the magic of oxyclean. I picked up a $1 can of the generic stuff from the Dollar Tree and soaked a couple bottles in a small bucket. The next morning, the labels and more impressive to me, the glue was all gone. I wanted to do the rest of the bottles tonight. I was considering filling up my bottling bucket like the original poster, but I'm a little worried about introducing an off flavor. Mmmm....

Been using oxyclean for the last 2 years brewing and never had an issue, however I've never left it in a bucket to soak--I usually scrub. Oh, also, I am using oxyclean free--no scent. Maybe that's it??

It's green beer....If you've rinsed thoroughly the bucket after soaking with oxyclean, then used a week acid (starsan) you didn't get anything from the oxyclean. I've left oxyclean in fermenters for a week, and never had an issue.

The astringency is from the co2 of fermenation, it is usually perceived as either sour or astringent.

Let your beer carb and condition for a minimum of three weeks, and you won't even remember this thread.

Thanks guys.

I am going to guess green of the bat, just b/c I have never had an issue with Oxiclean after rinsing well... buuuut... what kind of concentration did you use to soak the bucket?

Either way I am betting it will be drinkable.

I used one scoop and filled the bottling bucket with around 6 gallons of water. Even after the beer was washed out after bottling, I can still smell the "cleanliness" of the oxyclean.
-Jefe-

The first time I used Oxyclean it turned out to be a disaster. I put my bottles in a large cooler and put in several scoops on Oxyclean in and filled the cooler with cold water out of my well. I let it soak overnight & when I got them out the next day they were coated with a heavy layer on white powder all over them inside & out. I ended up putting a few at a time into a sink of hot water and some vinegar and letting them soak for an hour and then I was finally able to get them clean. What I do now is only use a fraction of the Oxyclean and use very hot water & soak everything overnight and then it rinses off very easily now & I haven't had to scrub anything except the Brewpot.

i totally agree that it's green beer, but like the above post, i've heard about oxy leaving a residue if it sits for too long. but if people have OK experiences I won't worry too much about it... but might it be difficult to see on a plastic bucket if there's a white film??

Actually Oxiclean breaks down after 6 hours

From the Oxiclean site
Q.How long will OxiClean® Versatile Stain Remover continue working after I mix it with water?
A. The cleaning strength of OxiClean® will remain active for 6 hours after mixing. Dispose of unused solution after 6 hours by pouring into a drain or toilet.

Oxiclean breaks down to oxygen and soda ash . So there should be no left over odor. Did you the versatile free ?

Oxiclean breaks down to oxygen and soda ash . So there should be no left over odor. Did you the versatile free ?

SO is dried soda ash, the "scale" that we often get from leaving stuff in it too long (which I do all the time with bottles sice I tend to get busy and not get a chance to rinse them) that a weak acid seems to remove?

Soda ash is sodium carbonate.
If you have hard water, the calcium can react with the soda ash to form calcium carbonate (chalk).
The chalk will then precipitate out of the solution and leave a residue.

Soda ash is sodium carbonate.
If you have hard water, the calcium can react with the soda ash to form calcium carbonate (chalk).
The chalk will then precipitate out of the solution and leave a residue.

That's what I've found in my mini research. Soda ash acts as a water softener. However, unlike more costly chelating agents, it works through precipitation which can cause scale. Of course, you just said that. :fro:

That might be what PBW has over Oxiclean. However, I have really hard water and have never had the scale problem others report - though most of those reports are from people using a generic rather than actual OxiClean. One thing about OxiClean is that it should be mixed/used in hot water. They say that if you need to use it in cold water, to mix it hot then allow it to cool. I wonder if that effects the precipitation/scale in any way, because like I said, I haven't had the problems others have reported.

From my experience using hot water when mixing oxyclean, it dissolves easily and rinses easily my only problems were when I used the cold well water which was probably hard water, I haven't tested it. When I had the residue it was very easy to detect because it was rough to the touch. The vinegar worked pretty well to disolve the residue. The properly dissolved oxyclean feels almost slippery to the touch and rinses off easily. Since I started using the hot water it works very well and is the clear ticket for me.

Heres the recipe, its a modified Coopers IPA SWMBO's bro gave me.
Coopers IPA (modified)
Brew Type: Extract Date: 1/21/2010
Style: American IPA Brewer: Jeff Lowder
Batch Size: 5.00 gal Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 2.5 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating (50 possible points):

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.10 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 15.6 %
3.75 lb Dark Liquid Extract (17.5 SRM) Extract 53.2 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 19.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (30 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (2 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
2.20 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 31.2 %

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.057 SG (1.056-1.075 SG)
Measured Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015 SG (1.010-1.018 SG)
Measured Final Gravity: 1.008 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 SRM (6.0-15.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 35.2 IBU (40.0-65.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 2.2 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.5 % (5.5-7.5 %)
Actual Alcohol by Volume: 5.5 %
Actual Calories: 219 cal/pint

Any thoughts?
-Jefe-

Tell me you're not who I think you are.

ONE and ONLY B*TCH!!!! Didnt know you were into the hobby. Hows the married life?

-Jefe-

I like beer and alot of the good stuff isn't distributed to TN, so the next best thing to do is make it myself. Turns out it's pretty fun as well.

Married life is exactly the same as pre-married life for me. How is med school??

SO is dried soda ash, the "scale" that we often get from leaving stuff in it too long (which I do all the time with bottles sice I tend to get busy and not get a chance to rinse them) that a weak acid seems to remove?

yup

. The properly dissolved oxyclean feels almost slippery to the touch and rinses off easily.

The slippery feeling is actually the Oxiclean dissolving the fat from the top layers of your shin ..same as lye used to make soap

From my experience using hot water when mixing oxyclean, it dissolves easily and rinses easily my only problems were when I used the cold well water which was probably hard water, I haven't tested it. When I had the residue it was very easy to detect because it was rough to the touch. The vinegar worked pretty well to disolve the residue. The properly dissolved oxyclean feels almost slippery to the touch and rinses off easily. Since I started using the hot water it works very well and is the clear ticket for me.

Start with hot water, finish before it cools.

Oxyclean has usually done it's job before the water cools. It's after that you start to get a film. Delabeling bottles is a 30 minutes process for me. Usually about 12 bottles in a 3 gallon bucket, 3/4 scoop of Oxyclean and hot water to cover. Labels start falling off after about 10 minutes. Rinse with hot water and you've got squeeky clean glass.

Same basic process for cleaning my other items. Hot good, cold bad.

Back