Water Temp Formula

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayInJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What's the formula to determine how much water at a certain temp to add to x amounts of water at another temp to reach a final temp?

No grains...just water and water

Thanks!

If you assume that the two masses of water only transfer heat energy to each other and not to their surroundings, then you assume that the heat energy lost by the hotter water is the same as the heat energy gained by the cooler water.

Q = m*c*(T1-T2)
Is the amount of heat energy required to raise an object with mass "m" and specific heat "c" from temperature "T2" to temperature "T1."

m1*c1*(T_hot - T_f) = m2*c2*(T_f - T_cold)

Where T_hot is the temperature of the hotter object, m1 is the mass of the hotter object, c1 is the specific heat of the hotter object, (T_cold,m2,c2 for the colder object), and T_f is the final equilibrium temperature of both objects.

In your case, c1=c2 since both the objects are water. Reducing the above equation, the final temperature is

T_f = (m1*T_hot + m2*T_cold)/(m1+m2)

I swear...my brain hurts reading over all the Electrical stuff, but this just makes sense to me.

But just to make sure I'm not making a too long away from Algebra error...

If I have 4 Gallons of 180* water and want to get the water to 155* adding ~1Gallon of 60* water should do it right?

Latest posts

Back