Mini-Brew Plastic Conical Fermenters (6.5 Gallon)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
Anyone here use these conical fermenters as opposed to the $500+ dollar stainless versions. I know the SS-heads are going to jump on me and say the stainless will pay for itself in 3 years (which it very well may), but I'm just not up to a $500 investment at this point.

I could get this, on the other hand, for roughly $170 Shipped (I'm willing to make this investment):
http://s1.ecooem.com/ke/kennywoodbrew.entrabiz.com/cat/124459a.esl?SID=73e558b82908

And I'm seriously considering it... I was going to go out and buy another primary vessel and another secondary vessel anyway (2 carboys is going to put me around $50 alone, let alone the airlocks, stoppers, etc.), so why not top an extra $100 on top and get something along these lines?

No more racking to secondary, etc. It would alleviate a lot of the hassle (not to mention worry) of transferring to a secondary and then to a bottling bucket. I could throw it in here for 3 weeks and basically be ready for bottles.

I'm guessing you can bottle from these as well? I can't see why you couldn't release any trub after 3 weeks, mix in some boiled water/priming sugar, and bottle directly from the valve as well?

What's the consensus on these if I want to save $100s over a SS vessel?

That looks pretty sweet, but if you're interested in doing 10 gallon batches down the road you should check out these links by Blaze in another thread.

http://www.plastic-mart.com/

Here's a better link:http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?cat=19

http://doghousebrewing.net/images/picture_001.jpg

His are 30 gallons, but you can buy them as small as 15 which should facilitate fermenting 10 or 12 gallon batches. (they would require some modification).

Oh and just in case you want to see the thread that started this:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14410

Good luck.

A bucket and carboy is $50?

I guess my question is do you really want it? How would you move it? Say for example you came down and brewed with us, how do you haul it home? How do you cool it or heat it?

we went down this road and decided it was cheaper to stick with the basic stuff. 1 bucket and 2 carboys would let you brew every two weeks. Something like this lets you brew every 3 weeks or longer for a high gravity.

I think if you really want a conical these are a good investment, just be sure you really want a conical.

you currently have 1 bucket and 1 carboy right? Really you just need another carboy.

May want to check the plastic mart site Jim. 15 gallon with stand for $137 incl. shipping. Just have to drill a couple holes and install valves.

Todd said:
A bucket and carboy is $50?

I guess my question is do you really want it? How would you move it? Say for example you came down and brewed with us, how do you haul it home? How do you cool it or heat it?

we went down this road and decided it was cheaper to stick with the basic stuff. 1 bucket and 2 carboys would let you brew every two weeks. Something like this lets you brew every 3 weeks or longer for a high gravity.

I think if you really want a conical these are a good investment, just be sure you really want a conical.

you currently have 1 bucket and 1 carboy right? Really you just need another carboy.

Well Todd, I would really continue to use the basic stuff as well, I just thought I could use this do run 2 at once. So, when I brew with y'all I can just bring the basics. :)

I'm not 100% sure yet, which is why I haven't purchased. I will probably stick with the basics and get another bucket/carboy so I can run 2 at once... until I am sure.

SilkkyBrew said:
Well Todd, I would really continue to use the basic stuff as well, I just thought I could use this do run 2 at once. So, when I brew with y'all I can just bring the basics. :)

I'm not 100% sure yet, which is why I haven't purchased. I will probably stick with the basics and get another bucket/carboy so I can run 2 at once... until I am sure.

from what I understand people really like these, I've just found it is easy to get caught up in all the excitment. In my opinion when doing just a 5 gallon batch I don't really see the benefit. Now if you were doing 10 gallons then go for it.

What I'm really considering lately is the better bottles with the racking port, they looks super nice to use.

SilkkyBrew, I have one like you have describe and love it. I use it for both my primary and secondary. There is an outlet on the bottom that allows me to dump my trub to get it below the racking port. Then I just hook up my racking hose and rack. Works like a charm. I would recommend it because of the ease of using it and is a definate upgrade to the beginner / intermediate homebrewer. If you go this route I would recommend getting Liquid Crystal Thermometer and the Liquid Crystal Liquid Level ie: 1 Gallon, 2 Gallon etc. to stick on the side. Also I have a brew belt to keep my wort at a constant 70 degrees.

Just my 2 cents worth

TD

I've used one of those flip-over-a-carboy units. They're pretty terrible. I used it one one batch and I'll never use it again. If you do a search you'll find mine and others' reviews of it. I haven't seen anyone proclaim glory because of it.

That's good to know. I'm pretty sure I'm going to plastic-mart when I'm ready for a conical but it's good to know that I can skip trying a cheap version with a carboy.

Eric_Duel said:
I've used one of those flip-over-a-carboy units. They're pretty terrible. I used it one one batch and I'll never use it again. If you do a search you'll find mine and others' reviews of it. I haven't seen anyone proclaim glory because of it.

Bingo on that. I too had the same set up and used it once. Decided in a hurry that it was an accident waiting to happen. Went and bought my current set up and haven't looked back since.

TD

You guys that are thinking of buying conicals do you ferment at the same place as you brew & bottle?

My fermenters sit in the basement when bubbling away but all of the other work is done in the kitchen. My basement is unfinished and kind of dusty. The idea of the conical and it benefits make ponder the idea, however the thought of moving its discourages me from going that route.

My pal brought one back on the plane to UK as shipping was more than the keg cost. Very convenient to use, I dump in first few days to prevent clogging then again a few days later, leave for about 10 days then bottle. I have the rubber lid gasket but it's not really necessary so I don't use it anymore

Well, once again I'm considering this. After siphoning to bottling bucket today and bottling, and then cleaning the carboy, etc. I just think this would be way easier... I could still use my Ale Pail and Glass secondary if I'm brewing two batches at once.

The valve for bottling looks quite large, how exactly do you bottle directly out of this thing? Just get larger hose and fill the bottle and shut off the valve? I like using my bottling cane, but there is no way its going to fit that size hose (1/2" or whatever that racking port is). How do y'all bottle from these? Or do you still rack to a bottling bucket?

SilkkyBrew said:
Well, once again I'm considering this. After siphoning to bottling bucket today and bottling, and then cleaning the carboy, etc. I just think this would be way easier... I could still use my Ale Pail and Glass secondary if I'm brewing two batches at once.

The valve for bottling looks quite large, how exactly do you bottle directly out of this thing? Just get larger hose and fill the bottle and shut off the valve? I like using my bottling cane, but there is no way its going to fit that size hose (1/2" or whatever that racking port is). How do y'all bottle from these? Or do you still rack to a bottling bucket?

You still need to rack.

Do you have an auto siphon? You could get better bottles with the racking port.

I don't think you want to bottle directly out of this fermenter do you? I think you would still be draining into the bottling bucket with priming sugar. I have been considering buying a plastic conical fermenter as well, just trying to find the best deal.

I just realized how old this thread is...oops

The canadian supplier is in Burlington, Ontario and charges $222 FOB with an integral stand...the lid is threaded and should be simple to seal if you can locate or make a 12" sealing ring.

Back