When to add fruit extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcoldone

Reaction score
I am making the Wife her berry blonde and the kit has no instructions on when to add the extract. I have a secondary so should I just add the berry flavor when I transfer to the secondary? Sorry if this has been asked many times, but I just cant seem to find the answer. Thanks for any help.

You can add it in secondary, or simply before bottling. I made a berryweiss and added it at bottling. Seeing as it's an extract, with no fermentables, there is no real reason to add it to secondary that I can think of. Just stir it in before bottling and taste it.. Once it's good bottle on up.

I reckon that with extract it's probably best to add it just before bottling, especially if you're looking for lots of flavour and aroma from it. That way there's no danger of aromatics being blown off with CO2. Also, in my experience, the flavour of some extracts fades with time, so adding a bit later can't hurt.

Add it to the bottom of your bottling bucket with priming sugar, rack your beer on top of the lot, then bottle as normal.

Back