Help! LHBS out of dextrose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any idea where else I might be able to locate dextrose/corn sugar other than the LHBS?

I wonder if some gourmet grocer or something might have it?

If you ask me, a LHBS running out of priming sugar seems utterly ridiculous, though!

You could instead use dry malt extract to prime the beer. They aren't out of that, too, are they?

if you are just using it for carbonate you can use regular table sugar, you just need a bit more (there are charts around here somewhere)

I am using it to ferment EdWorts Apfelwein, which I have not made before, so I was really hoping to stick with the recipe. I checked our local Central Market and Whole Foods, but I haven't been able to find it. I will keep looking, and let you know if I find it.

When will they be getting any in?
Shouldn't hurt to age a bit in the fermenter.
Is there just the one shop in Houston?

With a recipe that pretty much requires store bought apple juice, wine yeast, and sugar...I can imagine it would be pretty hard to F it up. You'll be fine with table sugar.

I've checked several health food stores witout luck. I may have to wait until next week when the LHBS gets it in...

I've made Edworts without using the corn sugar, and it works just fine. I've done it using honey, and brownsugar. The end taste varies a bit, but they all turn out just fine.

Dan

Thought about ahs, but don't want to pay $8 shipping on a $10 order. I was hoping for a local place to pick it up, but it has proven to be quite elusive...

You can use honey, cane sugar, corn sugar, or just about any other fermentable sugar. Catch is to minimize off flavors. That said, I've used clover honey before cause I had left overs from a mead and it wasn't really detectable in the final product.

Pinche... I emailed LHBS to see when they were getting it. They emailed me back and said they found 100 lbs under some grain right after I left yesterday... Really?!?

Pinche... I emailed LHBS to see when they were getting it. They emailed me back and said they found 100 lbs under some grain right after I left yesterday... Really?!?

Ok, that makes a little more sense. If they had really run our, their inventory control person would need to be fired.

Just did a batch with dark brown sugar. Tastes different from EdWort's recipe, but still good. Planning to have it mulled with cinnamon & additional sweetening for the holidays. Can't blame you for wanting to follow Ed's recipe, but I've about decided that it's hard to mix AJ, sugar, and yeast in the same container in pretty much any combination and not have it come out good.

Back