Schlitz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
While camping, I found a 6-pack of Schlitz at the store. So I brought it back to try it. I've heard they brought back the old recipe, from before they lightened it up, and I have been eager to try it.

Well, it's really pretty good! It's not really a Pale Ale, and not really a light beer either. Def seems to have more flavor and body than Bud or Miller, and probably than Labatts. This is more like what I imagined an older beer to taste like. More flavor, and less water!

It's still a light beer, don't get me wrong, but I could actually drink this regularly!

I had it not too long ago. I also wanted to see how the new (old) recipe was. I recently bought a 6 pack of Blatz too. It was intended as a joke, but it wasn't too bad.

Did you buy the bottles or the cans? IIRC the longnecks are the old recipe and the cans are the newer recipe. I could be completely wrong on that though....

They were bottles, but I highly doubt they would produce the 'new' recipe in any fashion. I haven't even seen it in cans yet. Also, I think the bottles were pry offs, but I'd have to look again to be sure. I've sometimes opened beer with an opener before realizing that they were twist offs.

HAHA! used to get that schlitz up in mount pleasant for ~14 bucks a case! (cans)

it was pretty good, better than busch light @ 20 bucks for a 30 rack. I've seen 6 packs around lansing at a few places recently, maybe I'll pick one up sometime. I dont know if it was their "old" or "new" recipe tho.

The caps were twist off, BTW. Had another last night. Very clean tasting and refreshing. Less flavorful than I remember at the campground, but still not bad for that kind of beer. plus it could have been my dinner was overpowering the beer. (Burritos and Salsa)

I bought a 12'er when they re-released it in WI last year. Not bad. A cheap beer that I can drink without grimacing. I consider it to be the crown jewel in my trifecta of cheap beer above Blatz and Leinie's Pilsner.

Back