Cooler MLT / Ball Valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes_d

Reaction score
Hi All:
I'm sitting here and getting organized before pay day. Over the past month I have built a few brew items, and this was really the first time I've messed with hardware/plumbing stuff. My first project was an immersion chiller, which turned out very well. However, when I was buying the stuff for it, I had to get help from an employee at my local Lowes, and didn't finish buying everything for my MLT.
Here's what I have: A good sized (can't remember exactly, but when I sized it it was in the recommended range) rectangular cooler, a CPVC manifold, held together with 4 90° fittings, and 5 T's, with the odd one facing the side that will drain. I think it is 1/2" ID tubing, if I'm not mistaken. It is glued together, slots cut, etc. My problem is that I returned my Brew Ware book to the library and have forgotten what I need in order to fit this manifold to the valve (both the inside and outside parts). Would you all recommend using a CPVC-type valve, or a brass or copper? What do I need to do this with? I have found references in the WIKI to the copper version of this very manifold, but not the CPVC. With me not being familiar with hardware and plumbing, I'm not too sure how to go about this and avoid leaks.
Thanks in advance for your time, and I look forward to your ideas regarding this matter.
Wes

I would use metal. This is only based on my belief that if you want something to last longer, metal is preferable. Brass, copper, SS, whatever.

IIRC, the bits you're working with are NPT fittings, which you should be able to find pretty easily in brass.

I probably forgot to mention the important part, here. I'm working with a cooler for which I will have to drill my own hole.

With that being said, how hard is it to connect brass to CPVC? I'm sure it can be done, as I'm quite sure I've seen this done in old homes with the piping.

I may just go back to my library and pick the book up so that I can direct this question a little better, because I feel as if I haven't posed this question properly.

Thanks much for your time.

Wes

I probably forgot to mention the important part, here. I'm working with a cooler for which I will have to drill my own hole.

With that being said, how hard is it to connect brass to CPVC? I'm sure it can be done, as I'm quite sure I've seen this done in old homes with the piping.

I may just go back to my library and pick the book up so that I can direct this question a little better, because I feel as if I haven't posed this question properly.

Thanks much for your time.

Wes

Drill your hole first that way you know how long of a brass nipple you will have to buy.

Brass/Stainless etc. will have no issue connecting with PVC. NPT is NPT, you just have to be careful not to cross thread.

There is a pretty good thread here called something like "easy cooler to MLT conversion" that will stear you in the right direction.

Good Luck!

Back